2015 : Anyone have their hops growing yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My willamettes are about 6" with 4 sprouts coming up. My magnums have 3 sprouts coming up but are only around 3" right now.
The willamettes already have some leaves forming

All plants seem to have made it through winter, colder here in midwest than their first year and they are in pots outside. But as of this weekend everything has little purple shoots.

Now I have probably WAY too many multiples of hop plants...LOL anyone want to start a farm?

purple heads on cascade, chinook and nugget popping up so I covered them with soil to keep them safe

Went outside this afternoon and saw my Mt. Hoods poking through the ground! Spring is here! Still waiting on my Cascades and Nuggets to make an appearance.

So, comparing my grow notes from last year, these ones about same time. 1.5 weeks ahead of last year, but I figure that is well within variability??

I planted 3 centennial rhizomes last Saturday and this morning, 4 days later, one of their sprouts just appeared above the surface. Needless to say I was pumped since these are my first hop plants. The weather has been incredible all week, dry and sunny in the high 60s to low 70s whereas right before I planted it had rained every day for a week.

Anyone know how cold too cold is for new crowns? It's been up to the 70s here in Minnesota and down to the 30s at night, ground is thawed. Talk of snow next week but not huge temperature plunges.

My rhizomes for this year just shipped, so I am thinking about starting them in pots indoors. We're having a lot of melt here in MA currently, but I am sure I wont be planting them in the ground for quite a while. How early is too early to start in pots, and also is there any detriment for transferring them to the ground too early in the development process?

Mild winter here in Wa state too.

I have several shoots about 1" long already on my Cascade and Centennial and about 1/4" for the Willamette. I thought abut trimming back but am unsure that I would get the results I've heard of. Has anyone had good experiences cutting back the first shoots and getting a good yield from the secondary ones?

Centennials are 3rd year and the other are 4th year.

My rhizomes for this year just shipped, so I am thinking about starting them in pots indoors. We're having a lot of melt here in MA currently, but I am sure I wont be planting them in the ground for quite a while. How early is too early to start in pots, and also is there any detriment for transferring them to the ground too early in the development process?

Curious about this too

So any suggestions on when I should put the rhizomes in the pots? I looked up the climate data and the typical last freeze date is May 9th. Right now I have a Cascade and Centennial Rhizome in the fridge.

I am in Mississippi and my hops are just now breaking through. I have about 8 shoots from 4 different plants. I will have to build a trellis of some sort this year. The little posts I used last year will not be enough to support what I am hoping to get this year.

So any suggestions on when I should put the rhizomes in the pots? I looked up the climate data and the typical last freeze date is May 9th. Right now I have a Cascade and Centennial Rhizome in the fridge.

Wait until the snow is gone and the ground is thawed and just put them in the ground. IMO you will do more damage transferring them around after planting then them being in the ground with some overnight lows.

California weather helps, until we run out of water...

IMG_1817.jpg

I'm in NC and I've got a few little Chinook buds peaking out as of yesterday evening. Second year plant.

Cheers.

Wait until the snow is gone and the ground is thawed and just put them in the ground. IMO you will do more damage transferring them around after planting then them being in the ground with some overnight lows.

Where I am positioning they are not going in the ground. The snow is already gone and it has been freakishly warm the last several weeks. They are going into whiskey barrels positioned on the south side of the house.

Checked on my only plant (second year cascade) it had 2 small leafs and a third shoot breaking ground.

Curious about this too

So, I was a new hop grower three years ago. Two years ago my hops came back and I was amazed. I must have done everything right! Then I cut them back and put the cuttings in root stimulant. Holey crud if 99% of them didn't root and all of a sudden I had to find homes for four cuttings out of five of all my hop plants.

Now, three years later and they are all sprouting and waking up and getting ready and I realized....

....yes, they really are a weed. It wasn't anything I did, these things, in pots, moved up against house and buried in leaves have survived both a warmish winter and a winter will lots of very cold snaps. LOL...they don't need me.

I would say, put them in pots, grow em up till you can dig a hole. Or put them in really big pots so no holes, whatever. These things kinda like to grow.

Once in the ground, they will only sprout next year according to your weather. Here in the middle of midwest the sun has been out for a while and ground unfrozen for over a month. They are up a bit early.

Not if you just put the whole pot full of dirt in a hole. It's what I have done for five different plants now. Rooted em in root stimulate and water in beer bottle, planted them in biggish degradable pots, put whole thing in permanent pot later on.

We had some incredibly warm weather, snow melted, ground thawed. I got my hop crowns from Great Lakes planted in pots and now I've got hops indoors in pots going nuts and of course it snows! Crap. Not sure what to do now.

Got my hops from freshops today. They look super healthy I am excited. Already have some roots/shoots coming out. I am planning on putting them in pots Fri or Monday and starting them inside. I figure in MA I should at least hold off until the end of April or early may

Just looked at where I planted my glacier last year and I think I might have forgotten where it was haha. There were these first two shoots. Are they hops? I'm pretty sure the one in the snow is. Its all white. Should I cut it back? Or did it come up too soon and killed off the plant?

The last two are not hop pictures. Hop shoots look like purple asparagus shoots for about first 3-4in of growth and then start doing try point leaves with lots of wrinkly ridges.

The last two are not hop pictures. Hop shoots look like purple asparagus shoots for about first 3-4in of growth and then start doing try point leaves with lots of wrinkly ridges.

Ah, I dont think the first one was either since it was so rigid. So maybe they havent popped up yet. ty

I have shoots on all my rhizomes here in Portland. The back 4: Mt Hood, Magnum, Willamette, Zeus... All second year plants with pretty good first year crop. Front 3: Cascade, Centennial, Sorachi Ace....all first years. Was only going to get a Cascade, but saw Cent. and SA and said screw it. Lol View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427438252.574976.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

count the nuggets...

what is interesting is that my hops in containers have leaves and hops in the ground don't

nugget.jpg

After the raspberry false alarm I was sure I wasn't mistaken as my hops literally exploded in the warm Utah weather we've been having. So two days ago this is what my hops looked like. Sitting at a warm 75 degrees they were happy happy happy.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429209931.780493.jpg

And this is what it looked like yesterday...

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429209990.844136.jpg

Can anyone enlighten me as to the negative effects of 8 inches of snow on a young hop vine?

I hope they're resilient.

We didn't get that much snow a bit further North but it did land on my centennial that had just sprouted from the ground. I was more worried about the lower temperatures. It seems like the hops are fine, well the cascade hasn't sprouted yet, but I'm hopeful. The fruit trees on the other hand don't seem all that happy.

count the nuggets...

what is interesting is that my hops in containers have leaves and hops in the ground don't

Soil in containers (raised bed, hills, etc.) will warm up faster than flat ground. Your container hops just have a little head start!

My Chinook and cascade are coming up and one looks more like a hop Bush! I just planted them last year and am quite happy they made it through the MN winter. Thing is, one plant has about 20 shoots coming out of the ground. I'd love to get all the hops I can, but I've also heard of people trimming back all but the strongest shoot.

??

View attachment 1429235322367.jpg

That looks good. It looks like there are several bull shoots. They will be hollow, and even though they are growing fast they will be weaker and are not as disease resistant.

Oshkosh, WI-
These two potted (second year) centennials broke ground about 2 weeks ago. The 15 plants I have in my garden (also second year) are all putting shoots up right now. I potted 55 rhizomes in nursery pots last Sunday, about 7 of those have shoots up already. I need to get the trellis up on the bit of land I'm renting before these things get too crazy!
Green Bay, WI-
My friends are have been reporting shoots for over a week now, but my father says the two fifth year plants on his property have yet to break ground (odd). No report from my abandoned field, I assume it to mostly be a loss on account of the poor soil and last year's poor watering.

View attachment 1429273915247.jpg

Latest posts

Back