2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My quick and dirty set up for the first year. My mother in-law offered the space and my plan was to start growing next year. Cascade has a sprout already, might need more height...

1397789733093.jpg

Here's my small hop trellis for this year. 16ft 4x4's and 8 ft 2x4 crosses. Just built and planted last weekend with 4 varieties. Filled the bed with topsoil. I've got 3 other ones on the side of my garage and built this thinking they weren't going to make it, but to my surprise they are all sprouting now! Going to have a ton soon!

1397871218785.jpg

Hop trimmings, second week in bottle. Each bottle got 1ml of root stimulator, water and stimulator replaced after first week.

20140420_110555-picsay.jpg

Today they were all moved to dirt, see if they take. The magnums still won't root and the chinooks tried to grow out of the bottles. Chinook put on at least 6" in time they were living on just water and root growth.

20140420_115955-picsay.jpg

My Nebraska hop plants. I also planted a piece of the Columbus plant my dog tore off and chewed up. Looks like it might take off and produce in a year.

1398095212404.jpg

1398095231264.jpg

1398095247540.jpg

1398095264717.jpg

1398095280267.jpg

I still haven't received my rhizomes. Did anyone else order from Midwest? Did you receive yours yet?

I finally got my trellis nearly completed this weekend. I still need to add a wood border along the front to help hold down the netting. It will be tied to the ground with the screw ties which can be seen in the left of the closeup picture.

I posted about this netting a while back as I was concerned that it may be too skinny to be effective, but I'll see how it goes. The plan is to train 1 bine on each vertical line, making 5 bines per plant. The outer 2 lines have nylon cord wrapped around them to pull it tight and so I can easily lower them for inspection & harvest. The lines are 6 inches apart, and have verticals every 6 inches, so plenty of line for them to wrap around, and hopefully for the side shoots.

I have 10 plants, although 3 may not have survived the winter. I bought these plus a 4th this year, and they arrived in the mail way too early. The others are 2 cascade rhizomes from a LHBC member last year, 2 nugget crows from last year, and 2 more cascade cuttings from a very old plant I came across in at a museum I was helping on a project in MD recently.

The original cascades and nuggets were in planters along the house last year growing up to the 2nd floor rafters. I got only a few ounces total last year, and I think it was too hot for the roots in the planters. I replanted them in 5 gallon planter buckets buried in the ground to help control the roots, and added drip irrigation (less than $20 at Homedepot for the kit). We'll see how the bucket root control goes.... Hoping for a better harvest this year.

hops_trellis.jpg

hops_plants.jpg

I planted my Cascade rhizomes April 5th and they popped up two weeks later. I ordered from http://freshops.com/ didn't take any pics of the starters but I'm really surprised at the early action!
(First time @ posting pics so apologies in advance if I screw this up)
I stopped by my HBS yesterday to pick up some kegs and they were liquidating the last of their rhizomes 1/2 off so I grabbed 4 Centennial's now I have to figure that out...
Cheers BTW!

Cascade 4.20.14_1.jpg

Cascade 4.20.14_2.jpg

Cascade 4.20.14_3.jpg

Cascade 4.20.14_4.jpg

Cascade 4.20.14_5.jpg

I planted my Cascade rhizomes April 5th and they popped up two weeks later. I ordered from http://freshops.com/ didn't take any pics of the starters but I'm really surprised at the early action!
(First time @ posting pics so apologies in advance if I screw this up)
I stopped by my HBS yesterday to pick up some kegs and they were liquidating the last of their rhizomes 1/2 off so I grabbed 4 Centennial's now I have to figure that out...
Cheers BTW!

All the pics are right side up. You've done better than several others with more pics posted :p

These were my first hop plants, now in their 3rd year. 2 Mt Hood and 2 Willamette. They have really taken off this year! I had a lot of trimming to do and hope to have a good harvest. They're at a relative's house, but I'm starting bunch more new plants at my house as soon as I receive my crowns from Great Lakes Hops this week! :rockin:
hops04202014.jpg

I forgot to bring in the memory card, but I snapped a few pictures last night. There is a reason hops are called dirt wolves. I may not have been judicious enough in my trimming last year. Each of my rhizomes (4th year) has spread to about a 10'x5' area and some of the clumps have 60 sprouts per.
Unfortunately even after 4 years it is still a guessing game for me as to which ones to cull and which to train up.

um... neglect? I simply haven't trimmed them when they send out rhizome each year. I originally prepped the (very rocky) soil with some sand and Miracle Gro potting soil (25lb bag split between 4 holes). 2-3 times a year I use Miracle-Gro organic vegetable fertilizer and after picking I leave the bines up until they naturally die out. Some of the roots/rhizomes poking through the dirt are over 3/4" diameter.

2-3 times a year I use Miracle-Gro organic vegetable fertilizer

This is a good hop fertilizer, it is rated 7-1-2. UVM released the following guidelines for hop fertilization:

A hop crop will require a substantial amount of nitrogen (N) to meet growth requirements. A high yielding hop yard can remove between 100 to 150lbs of N per acre from the soil. Nitrogen application rates are often based on knowing your whole plant biomass yield. Higher yielding plants will obviously require more N per acre to promote plant growth and development. A whole plant biomass yield of 1000 lbs/acre will remove 80 to 90 lbs of N per acre from the soil. As the cone yield increases to 2000 lbs/acre the hop plant can remove 150 to 170 lbs/acre of N from the soil. Nitrogen rates should be based on yield but also soil organic matter level and/or soil type. If you are dealing with low organic matter (OM) soils (1 to 2%) a rate of 150 to 200 lb / acre of N should be applied. If soil OM levels are between 2 and 5% than a rate of 100 to 150 lbs of N per acre should applied. For organic matter levels over 5% than 60 to 100 lbs of N per acre should be applied to the crop. First year hops (establishment year) should only receive 75 lbs N per acre. Nitrogen should be applied about 30 to 45 day after emergence or mid May to mid June. The primary N uptake period for hops occurs during the vegetative stage May through early to mid July). It is important to not apply N after flowering as this can lead to unwanted vegetative growth. Split applications of N are recommended on lighter textured (i.e. sandy) soils where leaching is an issue. It is difficult to predict N from a standard soil test. Therefore other tests such as leaf petiole testing can be used to determine N requirements of hops during the growing season.

I decided to up my homebrew game and plant a few hops this year. As these things go what seems like a simple idea quickly morphs into a much larger project. Not having many areas with sunshine in our small back yard I proposed to " the boss " that I build a hop trellis in the back yard. Well my first thoughts of a simple pole turned into a pergola with the hops growing up and across. After a couple weekends of construction I now have what I am calling the beer garden.:ban:

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398483697.219817.jpg
Here is what will be my 2014 hop garden. But due to living in the great white north, nothing is in the ground yet. But sooooooon

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

These are my first try at hop growing. Super excited! Can't wait til they really take off.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398493192.182559.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Third year Brewers Gold again. One is still way ahead of the other and getting further ahead every day. I think I can attribute that to the fact the stumpy one was transplanted last year.

uploadfromtaptalk1398525731408.jpg

I decided to up my homebrew game and plant a few hops this year. As these things go what seems like a simple idea quickly morphs into a much larger project. Not having many areas with sunshine in our small back yard I proposed to " the boss " that I build a hop trellis in the back yard. Well my first thoughts of a simple pole turned into a pergola with the hops growing up and across. After a couple weekends of construction I now have what I am calling the beer garden.:ban:

Well done!! Cheers to the build before the harvest. I thought to myself if I build it, they won't grow. Sooooo I'm waiting to see if I can grow'em before I build it. So goes the twine up the side of the house....:D

Ok, NOT listed on the soil test instructions...."Caution, the blue vial will explode explosively leaving exploded dirt and testing solution exploding all over the place. Explode."
No, it does NOT say that about the blue vial in case anyone is wondering.

(No new pics, been raining here for two days.)

Ok, NOT listed on the soil test instructions...."Caution, the blue vial will explode explosively leaving exploded dirt and testing solution exploding all over the place. Explode."
No, it does NOT say that about the blue vial in case anyone is wondering.

(No new pics, been raining here for two days.)

Wow! A two day explosion raining blue soil! Nice! :rockin:

Built the planter two weeks ago, just got the time to transplant my 3 year old cascade and centennial hop plants. I still need to thin them out and build something for them to grow up. I think I'll let them get used to the new home before I cut them back. I still have at least one more of the planters to build and possibly a compost area. You can see how I had them planted previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398652756.542963.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398652773.763188.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398652804.415224.jpg

First year cascade getting going. 3 bines sprouting.

Golding has no bines out of the dirt but plenty of roots developing.

1398704584226.jpg

I started talking to my cousin who used to have his own landscaping business, next thing I know, he offered to plant rhizomes for me. Just planted 2 centennial and 2 cascade rhizomes this weekend and built this structure.

IMG_2283.jpg

I have 2nd year Nugget:

and 2nd year Cascade:

Just yesterday (4-27-14) I noticed a little tiny shoot of one Chinook plant. These are first year. I didn't take a picture yet.

Back