2014 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my second year Amalia. A New Mexico variety. And we had a cold winter by Texas standards. I'm just North of Dallas. View attachment 190917

Bine one is 6.5 feet tall. Bine two is 4 feet tall. Guess I have to string my line from the gutter this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice. Waist high Cascade just east of Fort Worth here. Second year. I'm growing mine out with multiple bines so I can experiment and observe.

This weekend the plants were rudely ousted from their wintering spot. String hung. (I'm not sure we are completely done with frosts, so had to leave some insulation around them for now.)

20140405_143613-picsay[1].jpg

20140405_143627-picsay[1].jpg

I want to cut them all back at same time, but two are still kinda short. I might do it anyway tomorrow.

Just relocated to southern Ohio and brought my adopted children with me: nugget (2nd yr), cascade (2nd yr), and a rhizome cutting off a VERY prolific centennial that I had for 3 yrs.
Put them in the ground this weekend, since the snow finally melted off. View attachment 185207View attachment 185208View attachment 185209

Just got mine in the ground last week. Ordered from GreatLakes Hops. Centennial and Cascade. Hello from Circleville BTW

Daaaang, a rainy/snowy week followed by a week in the mid-60's has done wonders on my third-year Brewers Gold. The one that took longer to break ground (second photo) totally exploded. It appears to have grown half a foot overnight. I might be able to get an actual harvest this year :rockin:

uploadfromtaptalk1396985184284.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396985196747.jpg

Last year I planted rhizomes May 1. This year I had 12" bines by April 5. Strings are up on the hop tower. 8 first year plants yielded ~2.5lbs with only some homemade compost. This year I got some duck and goose manure from the farm down the road. It makes everything else I plant go crazy, so it's worth a shot.

photo (1).jpg

Last year I planted rhizomes May 1. This year I had 12" bines by April 5. Strings are up on the hop tower. 8 first year plants yielded ~2.5lbs with only some homemade compost. This year I got some duck and goose manure from the farm down the road. It makes everything else I plant go crazy, so it's worth a shot.

Yeah compost rocks. I make ours from leaves leftover food and key ingredient Spent Grain. Hops love it.

Everything grows better with manure. Try some bokashi or earthworm castings.

Got a pick of the 4 yr old beast of a cascade. Ill probably have to get the weed eater out to tame this monster this yr. Found some bines peaking out 3 ft outside the bed from rhizomes. Mower will take care of those. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397087196.839282.jpg

Nothing exciting to show as far as growth goes, but the hop garden is finally done. Will be growing up and along the fence as this is the area SWMBO agreed upon. I planned a Nugget and US Golding crown and a nice size Cascade rhizome on Monday of this week. Hoping for big things!

20140410_184355.jpg

20140410_184403.jpg

20140410_184406.jpg

Nothing exciting to show as far as growth goes, but the hop garden is finally done. Will be growing up and along the fence as this is the area SWMBO agreed upon. I planned a Nugget and US Golding crown and a nice size Cascade rhizome on Monday of this week. Hoping for big things!

Uhm...just an FYI but if your hops take off, that bush will be overwhelmed by that "lupulus" plant, it is called a wolf of weeds for a reason. If you have watched any of the Brewing TV shows they show some of Dawson's hop plants on fences.

:)

Uhm...just an FYI but if your hops take off, that bush will be overwhelmed by that "lupulus" plant, it is called a wolf of weeds for a reason. If you have watched any of the Brewing TV shows they show some of Dawson's hop plants on fences.

NICE! Seeing Dawson's backyard, especially in the wet hopping episodes, is what really got me wanting to grow my own!

Are you talking about the bush off to the right? The hops will overtake that or the other way around? It sounds like your referencing 3 different plants in your comment. I just want to make sure what your talking about.

Either way, that bush off to the right is being cut out shortly.

Are you talking about the bush off to the right? The hops will overtake that or the other way around? It sounds like your referencing 3 different plants in your comment. I just want to make sure what your talking about.

Bush = assuming it is a bush to the right of pics.
Hops = Humulus lupulus
Lupulus = translates from Latin into “small wolf”.
Dawson = a youtube brewing celeb...not a plant.

:D

I was trying to make fun, but your reply seems very concerned.

Bush = assuming it is a bush to the right of pics.
Hops = Humulus lupulus
Lupulus = translates from Latin into “small wolf”.
Dawson = a youtube brewing celeb...not a plant.

:D

I was trying to make fun, but your reply seems very concerned.

Ha ooops. Don't scare my like that. I'm a 1st time daddy to these little guys :D

All my hops bines seem to be doing really well. This is their second year and they're all making a strong start! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397409205.095761.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397409218.729252.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397409228.763231.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397409240.875374.jpg

Snow in the forcast! Damn...well good thing I kept a pile of leaf mulch just in case. All the little second set of shoots are covered up.

Yeah. The weather says 35 one night this week. The Farmers Almanac predicted this would happen. They said, months ago, that it we'd have a brief cold snap near freezing in mid to late April.

first year cascades, first go at hop growing! the little guy needs to climb the trellis and get out from behind the staircase that is inexplicably lying on the ground in my back yard (mess/construction site), then i'll run some rope up as high as it wants, to the 2nd/3rd floor balcony. (3rd floor = US english, 2nd floor = eu english meaning the third floor...)
it's a bit sheltered at ground level, only gets a few hours of direct light, but once it hits the top of the wall it's totally open to the south so should be pretty happy. it's in the ground through a hole in the patio, should be fine until it gets too big? soil is sandy and well draining, and shouldn't ever dry out fully, this being holland.

WP_20140414_002.jpg

WP_20140414_003.jpg

I did not have a drip irrigation system last year so I believe my Cascade and Centennial did not develop as good as a root system as my Columbus and Willamette.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

Also have some good growth going with the Centennial "field grade". Of course, there is a freeze warning for tonight that was just issued, after a weekend in the 80's lol

2014-04-13 19.09.15.jpg

All you are making me jealous. Just got mine planted this weekend and did not have time to set up a trellis. So I did not bother with any pictures. :mug:

first year cascades, first go at hop growing! the little guy needs to climb the trellis and get out from behind the staircase that is inexplicably lying on the ground in my back yard (mess/construction site), then i'll run some rope up as high as it wants, to the 2nd/3rd floor balcony. (3rd floor = US english, 2nd floor = eu english meaning the third floor...)
it's a bit sheltered at ground level, only gets a few hours of direct light, but once it hits the top of the wall it's totally open to the south so should be pretty happy. it's in the ground through a hole in the patio, should be fine until it gets too big? soil is sandy and well draining, and shouldn't ever dry out fully, this being holland.

staircase that is inexplicably lying on the ground = US English, staircase that is inexplicably lying on the ground

staircase that is inexplicably lying on the ground = EU English meaning flower pot shelf

:mug:

Is it normal for only one bine to shoot out and grow from a rhizome? Will more come later? One of my three is much slower than the other 2ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397652789.457645.jpg

Is it normal for only one bine to shoot out and grow from a rhizome? Will more come later? One of my three is much slower than the other 2View attachment 193600

It really depends on how many buds were present on the rhizome to begin with. If there was only one to begin with, then consider yourself lucky to have gotten it.

It really depends on how many buds were present on the rhizome to begin with. If there was only one to begin with, then consider yourself lucky to have gotten it.

I may have had 2 or 3. The others looked the same but are doing much better. So what you're saying is to REALLY take care of the one that sprouted! Haha

So I have about 5-7 bines coming out on 2nd year plant about 12" long so far. What should I trim back or cut for best growing season? I have heard to cut everything?

So I have about 5-7 bines coming out on 2nd year plant about 12" long so far. What should I trim back or cut for best growing season? I have heard to cut everything?

I trimmed back everything and this is my second year. I did that based of how the 'farms' do it. In the last week I have read up a bit more on growing hops at home in a couple books and it seems that they do not mention this step.

My hops were all trimmed back two mondays ago when in the 5-8" range. Four of the six have new buds or shoots by this monday. Two seem really slow to come back, so just watching those.

If you want to just leave them be, I cannot tell from my reading if your harvest will actually be significantly different, or if it is more of a convienience/avoid mildew thing for farms. Basically it sounds like two to three bines up each string and cut the rest back. Cut the earlier side shoots for the first few feet of growth. Then let them be and water.

I'll be going with two bines per string, four bines total for each of my plants.

but...YMMV...:mug:

Back