2013 Hop garden photo thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are now on their third year. And almost ready.

1001063_10151638910707436_657989105_n.jpg

226698_10151638910207436_1990363510_n.jpg

IMG_20130612_120242_zpse20a94b8.jpg

Cascades are what you actually see.

I have sterlings and goldings behind them but they are sucking it up.

I use a trellis, let em run to the top, string some twine laterally and train them sideways across my privacy fence. They run vertical for ~6ft, and a solid 6ft more sideways. Also, you will notice some symbiotic plants growing close to the willamette. Chives (which I let flower this year, thinking they would be prettier... wrong) and garlic (hard to see, actually behind the trellis), oh and a strawberry patch off to the left too!

willamette.jpg
Third year Willamette

nugget.jpg
Second year Nugget

nugget cones.jpg
Nugget cones forming

Mine are all doing really well this year.

Left to right (2 each); 3rd year wild, 3rd year wild, 2nd year Cascade, 2nd year Centennial. All are to the top and past 15ft.
20130617_182813_zpsfd928978.jpg

I had set up a gravity-fed drip system, but it has rained every 3-4 days since April.
20130617_182835_zps373266a9.jpg

These are the emitters (same setup for my squash/melons); 3/4" mainline, 4gph emitters, with ~5ft of head = 0.8gph of actual flow.
20130617_182928_zpsbd19976b.jpg

The emitters are designed to work at 25psi, but work really well in low pressure gravity-fed systems as well.

Best regards,

MT

That is a great watering scheme. I'll copy that one here !!!
We have had similar rain here in Dayton. Looks like dry weather ahead though.

That is a great watering scheme. I'll copy that one here !!!
We have had similar rain here in Dayton. Looks like dry weather ahead though.

If you want more info, Google "new Mexico state gravity drip system". They have done a ton of research on drip systems and have really good extension publications you can download and read. My gravity-fed systems are based on their research data on emitters and head, and their system design for arid regions.

There's a difference between gravity-fed and standard drip systems (hooked to a municipal source), so make sure you are reading the appropriate info for your application.

I set up both kinds this year, two gravity-fed for hops and squash/melons and a standard for my 400sq.ft. garden. So far they have worked perfectly the few times I used them. It takes a while to set up, but it's worth it for me because my work schedule is so unpredictable and ranges from 50-75 a week... Which leaves little daylight time for tending things.

Lateral bines are going crazy, do I just let them go where they want?

Depends. If the plants in the pic are the same type, then yes. If different, then it will be difficult to tell the difference between them. Up to you.

If you want more info, Google "new Mexico state gravity drip system". They have done a ton of research on drip systems and have really good extension publications you can download and read. My gravity-fed systems are based on their research data on emitters and head, and their system design for arid regions.

There's a difference between gravity-fed and standard drip systems (hooked to a municipal source), so make sure you are reading the appropriate info for your application.

I set up both kinds this year, two gravity-fed for hops and squash/melons and a standard for my 400sq.ft. garden. So far they have worked perfectly the few times I used them. It takes a while to set up, but it's worth it for me because my work schedule is so unpredictable and ranges from 50-75 a week... Which leaves little daylight time for tending things.

Thank you for the tips !:mug:

I have first year plants and I have been reading up on hop gardens. Some say to trim back all but the strongest 2 bones. Is this q good rule for first year plants? Or should I just let them go the first year? The only reason I ask is because my Sterling is going nuts. It has like 8 or 9 bines one more keep popping up

I have first year plants and I have been reading up on hop gardens. Some say to trim back all but the strongest 2 bones. Is this q good rule for first year plants? Or should I just let them go the first year? The only reason I ask is because my Sterling is going nuts. It has like 8 or 9 bines one more keep popping up

That is a recommendation for mature crowns only - 2-3+ years. The first two years you really want the plant to have as much leaf area as possible, so that it can build a large healthy root structure.

My Cascade and Centennial rhizomes had a few bines last year, this year they would have over 50 easily. I cut them back once they started really growing this year and train 5 each. Now a month later, there is another 50 bines coming out all over the place. I am going to leave these grow to build roots for a huge crown for next year.

That is a recommendation for mature crowns only - 2-3+ years. The first two years you really want the plant to have as much leaf area as possible, so that it can build a large healthy root structure.

My Cascade and Centennial rhizomes had a few bines last year, this year they would have over 50 easily. I cut them back once they started really growing this year and train 5 each. Now a month later, there is another 50 bines coming out all over the place. I am going to leave these grow to build roots for a huge crown for next year.

Thank you!! Should I be worried about the spotty leaves? I don't think its a deficiency. We have had a lot of rain lately

My hops took a beating from a recent hail storm. 75 percent of the growth tips and sidearm were damaged. Its going to be a let down of a season from what I can see after a week of recovery. Some instantly started to burr (way too early) other just look terrible. A ton of new spouts also have come out of the crown but I think it is way to late to start over here in Michigan. Luckily once there established it is next to impossible to kill them.

Here is to looking forward to next season!

Cheers!

My first year growing hops...going to have to rig something a little taller for next year...

image-1369541633.jpg

image-2627187587.jpg

Here are my first year Sterling (R) and Willamette (L) both started from rhizome in Early may in Michigan. I have begun to really run out of space for the sterling though and its only mid/late June... Anyone have any advice, should I somehow rig something up to give it more growing room? will it be ok if I leave it alone? I don't want it to just break off, which is my main concern.

Also, they are in pots, so they are moderately mobile if need be.

IMG_20130623_120540_813.jpg

My hops took a beating from a recent hail storm. 75 percent of the growth tips and sidearm were damaged. Its going to be a let down of a season from what I can see after a week of recovery. Some instantly started to burr (way too early) other just look terrible. A ton of new spouts also have come out of the crown but I think it is way to late to start over here in Michigan. Luckily once there established it is next to impossible to kill them.

Here is to looking forward to next season!

Cheers!

Damn man.....that sucks. Maybe you'll get something yet this year.

We have had an awful Spring up here in Minnesota! Snow throughout May and now it WON'T STOP RAINING!! I finally see some Tettnanger coming up, but it's nt looking very happy. One plant is a little greener, the other kind of yellowing.

This is my first year, so i don't know what to expect, especially in these conditions. The ground is so saturated that trees are falling over! Any advise?

hopgarden 166.jpg

hopgarden 171.jpg

Tettnang are looking great and I have been picking them and throwing them in my glass whenever I am drinking an IPA. Cascade are slower but seem to be growing taller and taller every day.

Pic 1 is the entire garden. The two posts closest to us are the tettnang and the cascade run along the left side posts, one of which you cant see and pic 4 will show you

Pic 2 is a close up of the tettnang that seems to be maturing the fastest. Its crazy how the left side of this plat has so many cones almost ready to be picked and the right side you can clearly see is just starting to produce cones.

Pic 3 is the same shot as pic 2 but farther out

Pic 4 is the left side post that you couldnt see in pic 1. Starting with that big tree posts and continuing along the left side are 3 cascade plants with the closest one doing the best.

Pig Pickin 4.jpg

Pig Pickin 5.jpg

Pig Pickin 3.5.jpg

Pig Pickin 6.5.jpg

image-913913187.jpg

Looks like I will be getting some hops out of my first year Columbus! The centennial are still growing strong too.... Cascade.... Not so much

Tettnang are looking great and I have been picking them and throwing them in my glass whenever I am drinking an IPA. Cascade are slower but seem to be growing taller and taller every day.

Pic 1 is the entire garden. The two posts closest to us are the tettnang and the cascade run along the left side posts, one of which you cant see and pic 4 will show you

Pic 2 is a close up of the tettnang that seems to be maturing the fastest. Its crazy how the left side of this plat has so many cones almost ready to be picked and the right side you can clearly see is just starting to produce cones.

Pic 3 is the same shot as pic 2 but farther out

Pic 4 is the left side post that you couldnt see in pic 1. Starting with that big tree posts and continuing along the left side are 3 cascade plants with the closest one doing the best.

How in the hell do you harvest them off of the tree's? Seems like a giant PITA! :)

My first years! Willamette, small cascade and 2 centennials. Not getting hopes up at all on comes but a few are growing nicely. Cheers. Any advice would be great

image-3018262676.jpg

image-2005674656.jpg

image-2125213678.jpg

image-3731413004.jpg

How in the hell do you harvest them off of the tree's? Seems like a giant PITA! :)

Haha haven't really figured out how to harvest yet... We have a giant step ladder that can reach the top of the tettnang, the only real tricky one is the cascade growing up that really tall tree. I am thinking a giant ladder right up against that tree...or if worse comes to worse we can always just chop the whole bine down when harvest comes which we obviously don't want to do if we are planning to harvest the plant over a few weeks.

Anyone have experience training monkeys to harvest hops?

Oh and just found these 2 picks from the top floor of the house looking down on them. They look so tiny from up here!

IMG_20130622_185637.jpg

IMG_20130622_185639.jpg

Anybody harvesting yet? I've got dozens and dozens of hops that look ready. Just like last September.

My cascade have taken off...my Centennial on the other hand not so much.

Close up of some of the cones on the cascade.

Both first years in San Diego

image-1187595726.jpg

image-100533806.jpg

Got comes on my first year cascades as well. Don't think they are near ready but it is getting pretty exciting.

image.jpg

Back