2012 Drunk Monk Challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Urban Knaves of Grain are proud to announce that registration for the 2012 Drunk Monk Challenge homebrew competition is now open.

The competition will be held March 9-10th at Two Brothers Roundhouse located in Aurora, IL.

The Drunk Monk Challenge is a qualifying event for both Midwest Homebrewer of the Year and the Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing.

The Menace of the Monastery competition is a competition unique to the Urban Knaves of Grain. The Menace of the Monastery celebrates beer styles which can be traced back to the monastic brewing traditions of Belgium and Germany. In other words - stuff monks would have brewed back-in-the-day. This distinctive competition is judged separately from the Drunk Monk Challenge. A special award is made for the winner of the Menace of the Monastery.

Online Entry: Register your Drunk Monk Challenge and Menace of the Monastery entries online by March 2nd 2012 at http:knaves.org/DMC

Entry Fee: All entries for the Drunk Monk Challenge and Menace of the Monastery are $6. Accepted methods of payment include: PayPal, check (made out to UKG), and cash. (Please do not send cash through the mail).

Shipping: Pack your entries well and ship to: Two Brothers Roundhouse, c/o Drunk Monk Challenge, 205 North Broadway, Aurora, IL 60505, ATTN: Gabe Nanni

Drop Off Locations: Entries may be dropped off in person at any of the following until March 2nd.

- The Homebrew Shop, 225 W. Main St., St. Charles, IL (630) 377-1338
- Chicagoland Winemakers, 689 W. North Avenue, Elmhurst, IL (630) 834-0507
- Brew & Grow, 181 W. Crossroads Parkway, Bolingbrook, IL (630) 771-1410
- The Brewers Coop (Two Brothers Tap House), 30W315 Calumet Ave., Warrenville, IL (630) 393-BEER
- Chicago Brew Werks, 12249 Rhea Drive, Unit 6, Plainfield, IL (815) 531-5557

Awards for 2012: Custom DMC medals will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each qualifying category and for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Best of Show in both beer and mead/cider categories.

Question?: E-mail [email protected]

Complete rules and regulations on our website. http:/knaves.org/DMC

Great event. Hope you have as many entries (or more) as last year! I plan to register and drop off 3 beers and a mead in the next day or 2.

:mug:

Good to hear from you, Randar! I hope you are as successful as last year. This year is going to be the biggest and best DMC ever. You can count on that. Hope to see you there!

DMC

I had planned on entering something this year, but I don't think it will happen. Life got in the way, and the beer will not even be close to ready (short of a miracle).

Do you need any help the day of the event?

Hey Kurt - sorry you couldn't get your beer ready in time. On the plus side, there are a few more competitions in the area in the coming months.

As for the DMC, we are always looking for volunteers. Specifically, Stewards and qualified Judges. Check out this link for information on how to volunteer. http://knaves.org/DMC/index.html

Also, we could use all the hands we can get on Sunday for the "unpacking". It's an un-glamorous but necessary part of competitions. It's actually fun and you will get a better understanding of how competitions run. It's Sunday at the Roundhouse in Aurora at 1pm. It will take about 2-3 hours but you are welcome to come and go as you please. We will be in the brewing area, on your left after you enter.

Hope to see you there.

DMC

Hey DMC, I entered a couple of non-standard bottles. Am I screwed? I didn't notice a request for "no raised lettering" until today... I incorrectly assumed and a couple of bottles with Sam Adams lettering made it in... :drunk:

Thanks for the info about helping out. I was making plans to be able to come down and help out when I got the phone call that nobody wants to hear. Unfortunately I will not be able to help out as my wifes grandmother passed away and I need to go out of town. I am so bummed as I was looking forward to helping out and meeting some new brewers.

I guess it meeting people will just have to wait until the next knaves meeting which I hope to attend at the end of the month. I have looked into a couple of brew clubs in the area, but when I found out my neighbor was a member, I figured I could not go wrong with your club.

My brother and u each took medals in this years competition, I'm totally stoked!!!

image-3651155505.jpg

I picked up my score sheets at the event, I would imagine you would have to contact the organizers and have them email or mail them.

Thanks to all who entered the 2012 Drunk Monk Challenge! Special thanks to all those who volunteered to help make it another successful year! Over 90 judges sampled and critiqued almost 900 entries, and we had a blast doing it.

We take pride in promptly posting the results and mailing the scoresheets. The bulk of the scoresheets are already at the post office. The remainder will be in the mail tomorrow. No need to contact us (unless you have specific questions or concerns).

Again, thanks for entering the DMC. Hope to see you next year!

DrunkMonkChallenge

http://knaves.org/DMC/victors2012.html

Back