2011 Hop Garden Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a potter, I started with 2 cascades, 2 willamettes, 1 mt. hood, and 1 centennial. It has workd out well, not only for hops, but I also have a nice place to sit in the shade. I used to brew out there when doing smaller quantities.

it was my first time using it for this purpose myself. I picked at the right time, at least I think I did. Weighed the whole lot, it was about 13oz. I left quite a bit on the bine that didn't look ready.

I weighed a sample cone which was 1.5g and then put it in at 110F and after about 2.5-3 hours it was down to .6-.7g

Did you stack the tiers or just do it as you have pictured? I will be picking a lot of cones this year so it would be slow-going if I had to do it one batch at a time.
It would still be better than I did last year...

I've used a dehydrator fully loaded for the last two years. It works OK if you have one with temp control but mine gets a bit warm. I'm working on a better solution now. Hop Hack those are some mighty hops. I can't believe how bushed out they are. I have a trellis going over my back yard gate with baby Columbus growing on it. It looked pretty cool last year for a first year I had a decent yield. Hopefully in two years they will look like yours.

Did you stack the tiers or just do it as you have pictured? I will be picking a lot of cones this year so it would be slow-going if I had to do it one batch at a time.
It would still be better than I did last year...

I spread them out between about 6 sheets and the way mine works is the heater and fan is in the top unit. It is a digital thermostat unit which is nice

first year hops Mt hood, Nugget Cascade. planted mid march, so excited finally getting some hops!!

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

1st year garden, planted late (mid April) Trellised even later (end of June). Next year I expect them to run.

4415-trellis.jpg

My 1st attempt at growing hops. Planted mid May. 4 chinooks, 4 cascades, and 4 nuggets. Some are 1 ft from the top of the 13 ft high trelis. Need to think about going horizontal I think.

SAM_1396.jpg

1st year container hops. Cascade on the left, Willamette on the right. First buds found on the cascade the other day and now they're everywhere! Cascade is now at about 14ft and willamette is at about 6 (slow growing).

DSC03228.jpg

OK, I'll bite. You only get one first year, right?

All are on bailing twine, and on eye hooks so they can be lowered from the ground. I can also run new twine that way by tying to the old and pulling it through.

Back of house. Left to right -
Magnum (23' twine, planted March 2011),
Cascade (30' twine, planted March 2011),
Willamette (23' twine, died; replanted June 2011).
Zucchini, San Marzano tomato, and cucumber here also.

850f7b23.jpg

On the side of house, I have 4 lines tied to 50' of nylon rope, with which I can drop all 4 lines to the ground for harvest and retying of new twine.

Side of house. Left to right -
Chinook (25' twine, planted April 2011)
Zeus (27' twine, planted April 2011)
Centennial (30' twine, planted April 2011)
Mt. Hood (33' twine, planted June 2011). Nugget was there, but died last month :confused:

Brandywine, celebrity, "delicious" (variety), San Marzano tomatoes. Bell and jalepeno pepper.

0b1aec95.jpg

Chinook, last month over 2 weeks, I measured growing 8"/day. Zeus really took off in the last few weeks and is catching up.
f643ec45.jpg

72ff6114.jpg

0e2fa68b.jpg

23c5c5d0.jpg

Brewer's Gold on other side of house all by herself. Planted April 2011 ("jumbo rhizome") and is on 2 23' lines.
15b6c93b.jpg

My first year hops garden in PA.
19 hills made it out of 20.

5 - Cascade
10 - Centennial
2 - Columbus
2 - Nugget

105_2907.JPG

105_2911.JPG

Harvested my 2nd year Centennial & Willamette hops yesterday. Got just under an ounce (27.1g) of Cent and a measly 2.1g of Willamette after drying them on the .

Centennial:

05.jpg

Willamette:

06.jpg

My EKG plant has not yet pushed any buds; not sure if it will. The Spalt Select plant has hundreds of cones that aren't ready for harvest yet. It's my best-producing plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbwebst ++ Awsome. My first years are also doing well. Good job. I would love to see more pics of you setup.

brian2can - thanks for the kind words. My setup really isn't anything special, just two 12' high poles spaced about 60' apart with rope strung between them and twine dropped down to the rhizomes. The poles slide into larger diameter poles that are concreted in place (these used to be the location of Purple Martin bird houses that the previous owner had set up).

Anyway, not long after I received the rhizomes I simply stuck 'em in the ground - of course I do carry water to them when it's dry out.

The Cascades and Perle are further down the row here...

DSCN2174 (Large).jpg

Not exactly on topic but these hops were in my garden 5 minutes before the pic was taken yesterday.

bobbymBrewz.jpg

you look way psych'd lol looks rad though! i can imagine it feeling like the first beer you made and trying it... now it's with hops... can't wait to join the ranks!

beetle problem has been low this year. however since i dont work at the moment i am able to go out daily and pick them off. plus they seem to like the trap i placed in the neighbors yard and my currant bushes(lol and the pool) more.

Rivenin it is not how much i brew they are there as much for the look as the use. behing the wall of hops is the german biergarten i built for my wife cause she was homesick. that being said i suspect i will have ALOT of hops to give away.

lol oh yeah that pic is a wall of only 21 of the 40 plants. the rest are on the back side of the biergarten(all 1st year ones there though not quite as impressive.

I have been very fortunate this year with pests so far. Ladybugs found me fast and early and helped most nasties clear. 5x daily inspections helped remove all other pests b4 they had a chance to over run anything, and picking every form of caterpillar i found and eliminating the problem.

100_1764.jpg

100_1763.jpg

just realized the flower pic was 2 wks old. here is a sample of the cone overload i have going on now. all centennials.

These are my first year Nugget, Cascade, and Chinooks. Me and my Dad quickly found out they didn't like that initial angle of the rope. :mug:

IMG00063-20110521-1402.jpg

IMG00068-20110617-2022.jpg

imagejpeg952952.jpg

IMG00069-20110625-1318.jpg

My Brewers Gold seems to be liking the New England Summer. The Kent is doing well too for being a finicky hop to begin with

Mine burned up in the AZ summer heat before making it more than a couple feet off the ground. I'm hoping they might still come back next year.

Wet hopped. Just picked them and hopped. 1 pound at 15 minutes and 1 pound at 5. I used an ounce of Citra pellets for bittering.

Was that for 5 or 10 gallons?

Just wondering how to figure how much wet hops to use. I read somewhere that 4 oz of wet = 1 oz of dry. Does that sound about right?

I gave my buddy three clipping from my Cascade plant a couple years back....here they are now. Whoops!

Back