2011 Hop Garden Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving garden to opposite side of yard. Neighbor's trees overshadowing original location.

Built deeper hops boxes. Lined with weed stop. Poles will be the same design.

040s.jpg

045s.jpg

272s.jpg

I started out being very gentle trying to remove the hop rootballs...that lasted about 5 minutes. These things are HARDY! I am now concerned that I didn't get all the roots and they are going to take over my entire yard.

These are from 2 year old plants. The last picture is of SOME of the roots pulled up from ONE Centennial.

268s.jpg

269s.jpg

270s.jpg

271s.jpg

My first year.

Not real fancy but hopefully it will work. Going to string the lines later this week.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

Have 6 varieties thus the wide spacing. Also going to get around to getting some mulch to toss around them so it looks a little better. As long as they grow ill be happy.

First time growing hops. The perle is 3 inches high already. The nugget has yet to sprout. I'll post something when it's a sunny day and I can get a good picture.

Cascades growing up my 6 foot privacy fence...pretty good for the middle of April!!
/Users/kharabin/Downloads/IMAG0192.jpg

Ahh,

I have been waiting for this thread.

I got nothing showing yet. But one of these days I am going to come home to some buds sticking through the dirt.

I'm just getting back into brewing, but 15 years ago I had a great experience growing five different varieties. I'd love to do it again, I just need to find a good place to put them (probably next year), make sure the bines are very strong due to occasional high winds, and find someone in Idaho to get rhizomes from (Idaho has a quarantine). My hat is off to all you hop growers!

I will get a pic up after easter. I have 9 rhizomes on the way, my brother has 3 on the way, and we just planted 12 on my cousins property. We'll have 24 rhizomes total and two or three rows growing. We need to decide to have two rows of 12 or do two rows of 10 and start the third row of 10 this year but only have 4 on it with space for six more to expand.

We had quite a bit of rain yesterday but the girls dont mind at all. The first pic is of the third year nuggets next to the fence -the others are first year. I had so many rhyzomes I didnt know what to do with them so I expanded out the nugget beds.

Its trim time today...they are getting a bit bushy.

215185_10150152720746059_734761058_7136975_3969562_n.jpg

216497_10150152725121059_734761058_7136998_8383163_n.jpg

Subscribed.

Mine just started sprouting up here in MASS. Two 2nd year Mt. Hood. Will post pictures when there's something to show. Hoping to start 2 to 4 more plants this year.

We had quite a bit of rain yesterday but the girls dont mind at all. The first pic is of the third year nuggets next to the fence -the others are first year. I had so many rhyzomes I didnt know what to do with them so I expanded out the nugget beds.

Its trim time today...they are getting a bit bushy.

215185_10150152720746059_734761058_7136975_3969562_n.jpg

216497_10150152725121059_734761058_7136998_8383163_n.jpg

Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions on that bed?

15' wide 27' long- plants spaced everey 3 feet -18 ft pole which gives about 19 to 20 feet of growing room depending on the actual angle.

Drove by mine today and noticed it's (only 1 plant) about 1.5-2' tall. There are about 6-7 shoots. Need to remember to trim it back to 2-3.

Awesome guys!!!

I wanted to get some in the ground but missed my chances...Maybe next year!

It's not too late, I ordered some new rhizomes yesterday. You can plant them anytime this spring. They will grow and be established by next year.

Hebby said:
It's not too late, I ordered some new rhizomes yesterday. You can plant them anytime this spring. They will grow and be established by next year.

Agreed. You have to look at the big picture. My first year hops yielded a total of 3/4 oz but this year they're growing in fast and lookinjg very healthy. Just utilize patience, like when you brew.

I second that.

I planted mine last year late May up here in New England. I didn't get a harvest, but I'm glade I got them in the ground so they could establish a root system for this year. They are sprouting nicely now, looking strong. I might plant some others this May too if I can't get to it right away.

Agreed on the 'its not too late' point.
I got my rhizomes in early April last year, and got about 6 ozs from the single Cascade. If you buy them now, they could potentially be sprouting before the end of April.

I planted 2 centennial in late May last year and ended up with 7.5 oz wet, 1.25 oz dried. There's plenty of time left to plant.

I wouldn't consider it late until end of May or early June. I got my rhizomes 3 years ago at the end of May. I didn't plant until the first week in June and everything was fine. Even had some cones that year.

2nd year Centennials and 2nd year Columbus. 3rd year Cascades are slow starters this year, pics to come.

Centennial1.jpg

Columbus1.jpg

My Santiam is about a week and a half old and growing like a weed. My hallertauer only has two stems, but seems to be plugging along. Should I prune any stems? When should I move them outside?

image-3471007704.jpg

Here's what I've got going so far. I'm starting to lean them out away from the deck since last year they all wove up in the trellis work and got mixed up.

These are 2nd year.

IMG_20110420_090501.jpg

-chuck

Mine are starting a bit slow but are picking up some steam.
a849044d.jpg

They are cascade, centennial, and chinook. 2nd year plants. I have another place on the other side of my house that I just planted a Mt. Hood, and Zeus. The Zeus had 2 white shoots coming out of it which I left the tops of exposed and they are green and starting to grow. The Mt. Hood hasn't come out of the dirt yet. I just planted them on Saturday 4/16.

here is my recently transplanted (pot->soil) cascade crown. just trimmed back all but 3-4 shoots.

hops.jpg

Back