2011 AHA NHC - whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received my score sheet from Nashville in the mail. First time I've entered any competition. I was a little disappointed, however it's nice to see somebody else besides my moocher friends give me some feedback! Thanks to all who volunteer!!!

I was looking at the winners from saratoga and the stout category does not have the number of entries labeled. Did they just forget to add it to the page?

Got my scores from Nashville today, thanks for the heads up on the website, since I saw my name in lights today before I got my scoresheets. Actually won one of the 2 categories I entered (bock), so I'm pretty excited - understatement of the day, since I'm practically giddy. First competition for me, got great feedback on both entries. Thanks to everyone, judges, stewards, volunteers. Thanks to HBT too, wouldn't have been as good without the info I've gathered here.

My first competition too, and my single entry did not advance. Good luck and congrats to the ones who made it through. I have not received my scoresheet yet am curious what they will say.

As of yesterday's mail ( 5/18 ), no. Janis Gross posted on the AHA Forum that the organizer for Saratoga was going to be mailing the score sheets on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. She said she was trying to contact them to see if it was done.

Just curious, has ANYONE received a score sheet from Saratoga yet?

Not yet, but they should be arriving any day now. Janis, the competition director, told me that the Saratoga organizer was mailing everything Tue/Wed of this week.

And how about instructions for second round from AHA. It's approaching the end of the third week of May that they said they would mail by. Anyone get it yet?

I'm in Japan, but my wife has not gotten it yet. They say by May 23 so it is not late yet.

And how about instructions for second round from AHA. It's approaching the end of the third week of May that they said they would mail by. Anyone get it yet?

Nothing here... although, I know what date they are due and am making my plans around that. The only thing I'd be waiting on is the address to send them and the bottle labels.

anyone get the Saratoga sheets for the final round yet?? beers start getting mailed monday and still no sheets. Jim Kehrer did email me saying the ones not moving on did not get mailed, but he didnt say when the one that are got mailed. Saratoga will never get this round for judging again. back to philly it goes

anyone get the Saratoga sheets for the final round yet?? beers start getting mailed monday and still no sheets. Jim Kehrer did email me saying the ones not moving on did not get mailed, but he didnt say when the one that are got mailed. Saratoga will never get this round for judging again. back to philly it goes

I am moving on and have not recieved my sheets yet. I am hoping that I will have a surprise in the mail today after work!

From Janis' Twitter feed yesterday:

Packages (~375) to #NHC winners in mail today, ~115 tomorrow! Bottle Labels & Instructions included w/ ribbons & certificates!

On Tuesday, Janis said the Saratoga organizer should have the 1st round scoresheets sent out that day or Wednesday.

All 2nd round stuff gets sent out by Janis in CO.

So you have something going on to the 2nd round?

Got my scoresheets from Saratoga today! Although I had nothing advance, I am happy with the scores and comments I got.

I got mine too. Terrible.

I understand it was tough this year because of the amount of entries, but one "certified" and one novice judge sucks. I get National judges regularly at the local comps here. I'm glad I paid $14 for someone to write "thin" in the mouthfeel section, and two maybe three word sentences for the rest of the sheet.

Seriously, how do you take the BJCP exam and think that it's ok to write one word comments on an NHC scoresheet? /rant

Just got my score sheets today as well. I have never entered a competition before, but the comments did not seem to bad. Only one judge actually gave advice on what would have pushed the beer to score better.

Both judges were certified and both actually tried to fill up the comments section.

I got my score sheets today as well. I entered 2 beers, both of which took first place in their category in a local competition held in April (with about 180 beers in total in the local competition) and neither placed in the NHC. One beer did make it to the mini-BOS at the NHC but did not advance. The funny thing is that the overall scores were essentially opposite those in the local competition - one with the second highest score in the local competition across all entries did only ok at the NHC.

I had 2 judge sheets for each entry, all from BJCP judges including one from Janis which is kind of fun. I had helpful comments across the scoresheets.

All in all I'm disappointed that I did not advance but I got really good feedback so I'm glad I entered.

Got the score sheets for my Orfy’s Mild.

This recipe was my first real attempt at a low gravity beer and I was very pleased with the results. Tasty beer that scored a 38 in the final round of the HBT competition. Pleased enough so that I decided to see how it would do at NHC. A bit shocked by the results. 20!

The keg kicked long ago and was great right up to the end, but I saved enough bottles for the remote chance of going to the second round of NHC. Drank one while reading the score sheet and although the brewers pride in me thinks they were harsh, they weren't far off.

The bready, roasted malt character the beer once had changed into more of a watery sweetness. Still drinkable, but lifeless. It's nothing that could be attributed to infection, just stale, dull beer.

I could ***** about Saratoga’s incompetence and taking over a month to judge. Imagination can run wild about what happened to our beers once they got up there? But it really wouldn’t have made a difference. If by some magic this beer had made it to the second round, the remaining bottles are not worthy. (Although, timely judging would have allowed for a re-brew.)

The moral of the story; when it comes to low gravity beer, DRINK YOUNG! DRINK UP!

Edit for reference:
(all bottled from ked on the same day)
Brewday - 1/1/11
HBT 1st Round - 3/26/11 (score 35/50)
HBT 2nd Round - 4/9/11 (score 38/50)
NHC 1st Round - 5/2/11 (score 20/50)

I got my second round labels, ribbons, certificates, etc. in the mail yesterday (Sat. 5/21). Now its time to think about shipping.

wonderbread23 said:
I got my second round labels, ribbons, certificates, etc. in the mail yesterday (Sat. 5/21). Now its time to think about shipping.

Didn't get the final round labels. Hopefully Monday I hope, but can u believe one entry was scored 39 and 23 before they adjusted! New judges seem to think that if nothing is wrong u get 50% of the point value

Well I finally got my scoresheet, beer wasn't well-received. I'd wager to guess that my beer was judged at the very end (aka 4-5 weeks after the first day of judging) of the Saratoga competition because the judges' descriptors sound like what it tasted like 2 weeks ago as opposed to when it was fresh at the initial judging day. I had one on judging day and it was just where I wanted it. Had a few the past couple weeks, not so good, I'd agree with the judges.

Kinda feels like a wasted effort to a degree.

This recipe was my first real attempt at a low gravity beer and I was very pleased with the results. Tasty beer that scored a 38 in the final round of the HBT competition. Pleased enough so that I decided to see how it would do at NHC. A bit shocked by the results. 20!

The keg kicked long ago and was great right up to the end, but I saved enough bottles for the remote chance of going to the second round of NHC. Drank one while reading the score sheet and although the brewers pride in me thinks they were harsh, they weren't far off.

The bready, roasted malt character the beer once had changed into more of a watery sweetness. Still drinkable, but lifeless. It's nothing that could be attributed to infection, just stale, dull beer.

I could ***** about Saratoga’s incompetence and taking over a month to judge. Imagination can run wild about what happened to our beers once they got up there? But it really wouldn’t have made a difference. If by some magic this beer had made it to the second round, the remaining bottles are not worthy. (Although, timely judging would have allowed for a re-brew.)

The moral of the story; when it comes to low gravity beer, DRINK UP! DRINK YOUNG!

what was the abv?? i'm brewing a mild next week and would like to know how quick it needs to be drank

Got my results back for my brown porter and special bitter from Saratoga. I wasn't expecting a lot due to the fact my beer gun was giving me all sorts of problems on bottling day and both entries were a bit too old to be sitting around for a month + waiting to be judged. Both scored in the mid 30's, which I am 'ok' with. However, the judging remarks were pretty crap. Only one of my judges was actually BJCP recognized, the others were Novice and Apprentices and the comments from the amateurs was pretty aggravating. One would think the NHC could get someone who actually know something about the styles they are judging! I am more pissed off that I wasted $30 bucks on this crapshoot than the judging quality, though I think the NHC owes everyone who entered in Saratoga a big apology.

i'm brewing a mild next week and would like to know how quick it needs to be drank

Milds can be consumed pretty young, right after fermentation, though they will be fine to drink within 1.5 months.

Got my scoresheets yesterday. This was the first beer I've ever entered, and while the comments were generally positive, I'm amazed at how much they conflict. One accurately notes the excellent clarity, while the other lists that it was hazy. One accurately noted the malty character and mild but noticeable hoppiness, while the other notes the overwhelming dry hop aroma (it wasn't dry hopped) and that the malt seemed to be an afterthought. I can't help but wonder if the National level judge (the other, more accurate results were from a "Recognized" judge) was judging a different beer...

Got my scoresheets yesterday. This was the first beer I've ever entered, and while the comments were generally positive, I'm amazed at how much they conflict. One accurately notes the excellent clarity, while the other lists that it was hazy. One accurately noted the malty character and mild but noticeable hoppiness, while the other notes the overwhelming dry hop aroma (it wasn't dry hopped) and that the malt seemed to be an afterthought. I can't help but wonder if the National level judge (the other, more accurate results were from a "Recognized" judge) was judging a different beer...

It could be hazy from the second guy because once you pour a bottle then tip it back up a lot of yeast gets stirred up. If I'm splitting a bottle I try to never tip it back up, in fact often I pour the whole beer into one glass then pour it from there into a second glass to split it.

My scoresheet was similar to yours minus the conflicts. A lot of short, sparse notes. One guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable, another who seemed less so. I laughed a little at both of them because rum is a featured flavor in the beer and they knocked me for having an alcohol flavor.

The moral of the story; when it comes to low gravity beer, DRINK YOUNG! DRINK UP!

Edit for reference:
(all bottled from ked on the same day)
Brewday - 1/1/11
HBT 1st Round - 3/26/11 (score 35/50)
HBT 2nd Round - 4/9/11 (score 38/50)
NHC 1st Round - 5/2/11 (score 20/50)
My Mild did just the opposite. 27 in the HBT comp and 42/second round/third place in cat in NHC. Both NHC judges were not very experienced so I already rebrewed it.

I had a mild that did mid 40s, first place, second place BOS at Drunk Monk. Then like 24 at NHC first round, then mid 40s, first place, in the last five on the BOS table at a smaller regional comp.

I want them to score higher at NHC, damn it.

I had a mild that did mid 40s, first place, second place BOS at Drunk Monk. Then like 24 at NHC first round, then mid 40s, first place, in the last five on the BOS table at a smaller regional comp.

I want them to score higher at NHC, damn it.
Maybe because Mild is a style that isn't as well known and there aren't many commercial examples on this side of the pond is what makes the scores so variable? Mine is REALLY low on the carbonation and one NHC judge said it was too carbonated but 'OK for competition'.

Maybe because Mild is a style that isn't as well known and there aren't many commercial examples on this side of the pond is what makes the scores so variable? Mine is REALLY low on the carbonation and one NHC judge said it was too carbonated but 'OK for competition'.

Honestly mine is not very authentic but is more like the homebrewer's fantasy. Lots of flavor and body (though the stats are all in range). I think the scoresheets from Drunk Monk, which is very well judged, basically said "yeah this isn't really that great a fit to style but I like it so 44". I can't recall what the NHC sheets said but if they faulted it on being too full flavored, I can't complain. Although to me that probably gets you to more like low 30s than low 20s but the NHC is a binary thing for me. It wins or it doesn't. I have all year to get feedback, the NHC is about the competition.

But yeah, mild and berliner weiss and straight lambic etc, there is a vast difference between what someone who has read about the style thinks and what someone who has actually had a few examples of the style (typically requiring international trave) thinks. I brew my mild to the fantasy rather than reality, and it usually wins. Brew the berliner weiss to reality rather than the fantasy and it usually loses.

. . . I can't complain. Although to me that probably gets you to more like low 30s than low 20s but the NHC is a binary thing for me. It wins or it doesn't.
Yeah, complaining gets you nowhere, but being a Saratogo entry I can’t help but think of the possibilities for screw-up ‘s over the period of time that it took to judge. Unlike yours, a lot of the comments on my score sheets were hard to justify. Sure the beer may have been past its prime when they judged it, but the way it read, I’d swear they were judging a different beer.

This was Orfy's Mild recipe brewed with Notty, my first experience with the yeast. Could this have something to do with it? Does Nottingham produce a beer with less shelf life?

Welllllllllllll, looks like my Blueberry Porter made it to the Final round... don't hold out much hope since the blueberry character is so subtle and has faded, but will send in my bottles anyways!

I managed to pull off a re-brew and a comparison tasting. It was agreed that the new batch has better hop flavor and aroma and is an all around better beer. Bottled from a keg this morning and will ship out today.

The question is about timing. If I ship ground it will get there on the last day they accept entries, Monday, June 6th. If I ship 3 day select it will get there on Friday the 3rd. So, is it worth the extra $20 for peace of mind? Will the package get handled any better being shipped from the East Coast to the West Coast if it goes select? What would you do?

I'd ship it next day. It'll reduce the time in a HOT trailer in the summer.

Latest posts

Back