2010 Hops Gardens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_03061.jpg

First Cones! (Saaz)

i got my first hops in a bit late in the season so they are not too far along. But my Brewers Gold seem to be doing quite well so far! About 12ft tall

2010-08-07%2011.01.46.jpg

Great Carndog,
SWMBO saw your pics so now I'm having to build one similar this weekend and she has plans for two more ;) My plans are 8'X16'X8'H should be interesting.

Ok so never got around to building the big trellis that weekend, however finally finsihed up the two smaller ones this weekend.

They ended up being 4X8' bases w/ 8X12' tops and 10' high, I have the endcap planters built (Not pictured) that I still need to install and fill prior to transferring my pot grown hops onto their new home.

Here's a pic of one of them, Wifey plans to grow her veggies in the centers so the trellis will help shade em.

582ea3de.jpg

Hello all, just posting about the first year trying to grow 4 different kinds of hops, A friend of mine does the beer brewing but I though I'd pitch it with the hop supply for fun.

Basically I'm growing from the top left corner clockwise:
Cascade, Goldings, Horizon, and Nugget.

Made a 6'x6' wooden box and dug 1 foot deep in it. There I filled it in with local soil, Compost, and Chicken Manure. Mix it all up, hopefully evenly, and plant the rhyzomes. I thought I would do the "Xmas Tree" trellis because this was just the first year hops, but they grew like weeds so I changed up the design a bit as you can tell. Didn't add any fertizer and just watered them everyday.

dsc00645b.jpg

The Cascades are turning out the best so far, with a good yield the first to produce any cones.
dsc00640yt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Goldings started out good growing but haven't produced as much as the Cascades did, but I'm hoping in September I can get a good yield.
dsc00648m.jpg

The Horizon is a bit of a slow one but still growing, 3 bines came out of this one.
dsc00642f.jpg

The 2nd best one so far is the Nugget, however I only got one bine to grow out of it but it's producing some nice cones...
dsc00643.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some update to the yard. Cascade, Chinook and Centennial all going crazy. Nugget and Newport sending out burrs like mad.

Cascades:
4880838084_c2f1c8195e_z.jpg

Chinook typical (this one is extra) elongated cone:
4880201317_d24df1a400_z.jpg

Nugget burrs
4880835768_ec82a3730f_z.jpg

Randar: those chinooks are huge!

That's what she said!

Seriously though, that one is abnormally elongated, but the chinooks are almost always the most elongated in my hopyard. Polar opposite from my Fuggle, for instance.

I think Cascades and Chinooks will be ready to harvest in about 2 weeks.

Chris...mine are third year also, and wow what a difference a year makes. I will be making extra cascade pale ale with all mine. My brother finds out that i made some and i cant keep it around very long...lol I also have Willamettes that are doing well this year, but never as well as the Cascades.
Ed

IL hopgrower. Everything I have is sun burned. I thought it would be a terrible year for me. I haven't been home a lot and I visited my place this weekend and I"ve got new growth. I know it's to late for a great yield, but I'm surprised. My Chinnook is amazing, my Cascade is a close second, but the rest of my hops are struggling. Still time for some, but I'm not having everyone elses success. Sigh...

damn you all!!! I just don;t get enough light anywhere on my property. 3rd year hops and not a single cone. The vines grow like mad, but no cones at all. :(

IL hopgrower. Everything I have is sun burned. I thought it would be a terrible year for me. I haven't been home a lot and I visited my place this weekend and I"ve got new growth. I know it's to late for a great yield, but I'm surprised. My Chinnook is amazing, my Cascade is a close second, but the rest of my hops are struggling. Still time for some, but I'm not having everyone elses success. Sigh...

My Chinook, Cascade, Magnum, Nugget, and Newport all did visibly better than Goldingx2, Fugglex2, Mt Hood, Crystal, and Willamette. My Centennialx2 were somewhere in between.

If hops are like most other plants, youve gotta fertilize with the right balance or you'll get all vine and no flowers.

Better place to start than all flowers and no vines... an N-P-K soil test kit can be found at almost any garden store, or any store that has a garden department (like home depot).
But if nutrients were the problem you would be seeing some sines of deficiency in the leaves. Pics of hops with deficiencies

starting my second year with hops in 30g containers. First year I harvested 6oz off of 4 bines. not much, but it was the first year. looking forward to see what happens this year. hope to see it breakthrough the soil in the next few weeks.

I ordered 6 varieties of rizomes this year.

Then a family friend gave me a pack of hop seeds.... Looks like they ordered them off amazon. No variety or anything. I am a bit skeptical because I dont know if they will turn into male or female and from what I have read you cant tell until very late in the season. I cant imagine they are feminized seeds. Im debating starting them and putting them very far away from my good ones.

Anyone start any from seed?

being in the south, i keep trimming the shoots til may. makes for a late harvest with better tasting hops.

My rhizomes are traveling by priority mail as I type. They are expected to arrive tomorrow. I have three varieties coming: Kent Golding, Mt. Hood and Sterling. (Let's see how they do in the hot Texas summers.) I expect to toss up my hop garden this week and I'll get some pictures once it's up.

Back