2009 Hop Nog Cloudy and Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty67

Reaction score
So i brewed this and let it sit in the primary for 3 solid weeks and never peaked, i bottled last night and had a sample. The beer was supprisingly still cloudy and when i tasted it the hops had a bitter edge to them, not horrible but it was there.

Obviously this is really young and has only just started to carbonate. i figured i wouldn't even sample a bottle for 3 weeks.

The questions i had were, is this guy still cloudy because it's just got a lot more stuff in it? Do hoppier beers just take a while to loose that hard hop edge? Am i looking at this beer to take a while longer to really come around and if so how long would you all give it.

So i brewed this and let it sit in the primary for 3 solid weeks and never peaked, i bottled last night and had a sample. The beer was supprisingly still cloudy and when i tasted it the hops had a bitter edge to them, not horrible but it was there.

Obviously this is really young and has only just started to carbonate. i figured i wouldn't even sample a bottle for 3 weeks.

The questions i had were, is this guy still cloudy because it's just got a lot more stuff in it? Do hoppier beers just take a while to loose that hard hop edge? Am i looking at this beer to take a while longer to really come around and if so how long would you all give it.

My apartment is a little on the cold site, low to mid 60's. I have found that my IPAs take about 4-5 weeks to carb up, and then they need a week minimum in the fridge for best taste and the longer the better. the hop bitterness will mellow out with time, but i thought we brewed IPAs for the bitterness? i think most people drink their IPAs earlier, unless it is a big IPA. Most of my beers a a little cloudy when i bottle, but after they are finished conditioning and chilling they are clear. did you use any irish moss in the boil, or gleatin to clear it up? I would give this beer atleast 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp, and then throw a few in the ridge for a few days. As in every beer i have brewed the last bottle of the batch was the best, so the longer you can wait the better your beer may be.

Just my .02

no I love a good IPA but sometimes, actually more often than i like i run into hop flavor that is more bitter than enjoyable. And it feels like the hops just get boiled too long and draw out a ton of bitterness. I like the more intense citrus hit that i find in many of the IPA's and the spiciness, a little bitter but not when that's all i get without good flavor.

Maybe it's a balance thing that i'm looking for. and I know someone will say this while it pops in my head so i'll say it first, i guess i shouldn't be looking for good balance in a beer this young.

As for how long to let it hold i'm thinking i'll be there with you my upstairs is in the mid 60's but the basment sits in the mid 50's in the winter. so upstairs for the next month and let it age in the basement. for a bit longer. I thought with it being a hoppy ipa i'd have to let it go longer. thanks for helping my brain to work.

Back