2009 GABF, September 24-26

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a listing of the events that are happening during the week of the GABF (Tours and such)? I thought there were events going on but I cannot find the site any more.

I am taking Thurs and Friday off So I can wander about LODO and hit Falling Rock...etc

I don't know of any list anywhere but here is what I recall going on:

Wed morning bus tour (leaves pretty early)
Thursday after session KROC WBF (at a hotel nearby)
Friday rare beer tasting (at wynkoop? think tickets are $55)

If I get a chance I'll dig up more info and maybe put links in

I don't know of any list anywhere but here is what I recall going on:

Wed morning bus tour (leaves pretty early)
Thursday after session KROC WBF (at a hotel nearby)
Friday rare beer tasting (at wynkoop? think tickets are $55)

If I get a chance I'll dig up more info and maybe put links in

I am in Denver so I will not need the Bus tour. I know about the Wynkoop thing ( my homebrew club meets there) But any other info you can find would be greatly appreciated :mug:

I am in Denver so I will not need the Bus tour. I know about the Wynkoop thing ( my homebrew club meets there) But any other info you can find would be greatly appreciated :mug:

Check out this page, there is a ton of stuff on it (but not all). I have to suggest going down to Boulder for some of the Avery tappings. I will be, as usual, the inebriated gentleman.

Denver Beer Fest | September 18-27, 2009 | Denver, Colorado

I'll be there, working all sessions except (hopefully) Saturday night. If anyone has extra tix to the Wynkoop rare beer tasting, I'd be interested in taking them off of your hands!

Joe, et al,

My son and I will be attending the Saturday afternoon Members Only session.

Are there any plans to meet up before for lunch?

I know the BN Army folks print up name tags for people to wear. I wonder if we should do the same thing.

They have a booth there to give them out, I guess if someone came up with a template we could just print our own. Could get them laminated or just stick them in some kind of plastic ID pouch and hook it to a lanyard

@Kahunaschick and I will be covering the Friday evening event (as the Press) and will be attending the Saturday Members only session.

We are not sure where we'll drink on Friday evening, but we'll be there.

We will definitely be hanging out at the Falling Rock Saturday evening...as it is ALWAYS the place to be.

woot in for the repeat of last years contact list...and text alerts

also.... I may have purchased 4 tickets to Saturday afternoon members session when i only needed 3. i was thinking i could bring a random friend with but it seems everyone i know is too cool for school...er i mean beerfest. My SWMBO actually purchased a second AHA membership so her brother could come with us. If we can't convince a 4th to come with us... She would be willing to part with the extra ticket for $67...which is exactly half the cost it cost her to get 2 tickets plus the handling fee.

pm me if anyone is interested. we set up our tickets to be at will call... so we can not send them to anyone. we will just have to meet at the will call office to get them either Friday night or Saturday morning.

I'll be there at the Saturday Members-Only session. First time to the GABF, I'd love to meet some folks from here and get some pointers.

Meet-up form 1 is here:
GABF 2009 Contact Sheet

I might try to use some scheduling software to get the best meet-up time, however, my guess is that no-one really knows what they are doing.

I've found that the key to things like these is to use twitter and enable your phone or rely on txting. Though txting can get tedious too. Calling everyone is out of the question unless someone knows a free web-messaging service.

Another thing to do is to meet during the mid-point of the session at an area that has a fewer notable breweries. I've seen the map, but I haven't seen what breweries are where.

I second the Twitter follow...someone volunteer to organize and we all follow. Pretty easy to find where everyone is at a given moment.

I will be there all 4 sessions, though I might die an hour into the Saturday night session.

I will definitely be at the WBF Thursday night as well, and you should be too. I will have my Brett Lambicus Berliner Weiss, and it is tasting mighty fine (especially considering it is about a month old at this point). There will be at least one more sour beer (from a damn fine sour beer brewer) and at least 13 others. Matt Brynildson is speaking, along with the brewmaster from Michelob. If you aren't going to the Thursday night session, it is a great alternative. If you are, come by after, it goes until midnight. Good times I guarantee. Bring money for the raffle and silent auction, and RSVP if you can, just to let them know about how many folks will show.

i has a twitter question... any one know what a good twiter app for the iphone is? i was against twitter for a long time but as this will be beer related i guess i am ok with having it. also... whats the deal with the gabf hashtag for twitter... im a twitter newb

Does anyone have an extra saturday afternoon ticket? I have a friend ask me if I knew of anyone with an extra so I'm asking around. Send me a PM if you do

I'll be consolidating the contact info and emailing it out on Sunday.

As of right now there is a #GABFTweetUp tag for all beer people on twitter and so far the consensus on that is to meet at the 1hr mark at each session by the bookstore.

I plan on swinging by that also as there are beer bloggers and pro-brewers that will turn up for that.

The hashtags are useful because they function as a twitter search. Click the tag and see what everybody that uses that tag is up to.

I'm not an iPhone guy, but you can search twitter and get a decent answer as to what app to use.

Falling Rock Tap House 2009 GABF Schedule

Monday September 21st 5pm. 13th Annual GABF Kickoff Tapping Party. Every year we save kegs to tap at this event. We will be tapping 10-12 kegs at 5pm of harder to find specialty beers from breweries from all over, some sent in just for this event. Some of the breweries: Avery, Russian River, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing.

Wednesday September 23rd

4pm Flying Dog 20th Anniversary Beer Tapping
5pm Pyramid Snowcap Unveiling
9pm Artisanal Imports Come try out some of their offerings including a new, limited offering, Koenigshoeven (La Trappe) Isid'or 125th Anniversary Beer
Marty Jones & the Great Unknowns with special Guests the Rolling Boil Blues Band

Thursday September 24th
3pm Boulder Beer Stranahan’s Aged Mojo
10pm Upstairs - Stone Brewing. The Folks over @ Stone sent us a few fun kegs to try out like this year’s Vertical Epic & a couple others.
10pm Downstairs - Shelton Brother’s. Dan Shelton imports some of the most distinctive beers from all over the world as well as running an Export program also. Come & sample some of the beers that Dan is exporting (like Jolly Pumpkin) as well as some of the interesting beers that Shelton Brothers imports. Cost $20
11pm Jewbilation Bar-Mitzvah Schmaltz Brewing is turning 13 so it's time to celebrate. We'll have Jewbilation and oak aged Lenny'y Rye IPA on tap.

Friday September 25th
Noon Sierra Nevada Kill-A-Keg See if we can drain a keg in less than last year’s 15 minutes 4 seconds.
12:30 Sierra Nevada Estate. Not only did Sierra Use Hops grown on their own Property, they grew the Barley as well. Try out this new, very limited edition Wet-Hopped Ale.
1pm Meet Chris Brouwaerts, Founder of Brasserie La Chouffe from Belgium.
2pm Left Hand/Terrapin Brewing Depth Charge Espresso Milk Stout Collaborative Brew on Cask
10 pm Downstairs All About Beer, Dogfish Head & Others “Up Your Reinheitsgebot – an Evening of Impure & Illicit Beers” Taste Exotic beers from Dogfish Head, Avery Allagash & New Belgium that definitely plead the 5th on the German Purity Law of 1517.

Saturday September 26th
4pm Boulevard Brewing Smokestack Beers on tap. Try out some of Boulevard’s Specialty Offerings.
10pm New Belgium Brewing Rarities with Special Guests Elysian Brewing Company. Come try out some of New Belgium’s Harder-to-Find Beers on Tap. We’ll have Love, La Folie, Transatlantic Kriek, La Fleur Misseur & Le Terroir. Also in the House will be Beers from Elysian Brewing

How do you set that up so that you can use it from your twitter account....?

Twitter Noob here and just signed up for GABF...:eek:

did i miss out on the list compiled by olllllo? I filled out the form.....Just haven't seen anything.

Oh well, you can't miss me! I'm the big guy with a beard standing next to a pretty girl and holding a beer!

Come on down for a little pre-funk before the Wynkoop gig on Wednesday night. We have a couple of sets of tickets for the GABF that we will be giving away as well. Hope to see you there!

Private Collection Release & Talk
Presented by Wyeast

Hosted by Stomp Them Grapes
Lagers crafted & provided by Englewood Rock Bottom Brewery

This event is open to the first 100 people at the door of Stomps new storefront, 4731 Lipan Street, Wednesday, September 23, starting at 5pm. Doors will be open until 8.

To kick off this event, Brian and Greg, will deliver a brief talk about home brewing methods of lager fermentations, pitch rates, all you want to know about diacetyl rests and any other mystical brewing topics to do with lagers.

Lagers using the Private Collections strains for the upcoming fall release will be served. These pilsner style lagers were crafted by Brewmaster Rick Abitbol of Englewood Rock Bottom Brewery using the Wyeast Private Collection: 2247-PC European Lager, 2487-PC Hella Bock Lager and 2782-PC Staro Prague Lager.

Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to meet and talk with Greg Doss, Wyeast QC Mgr/Brewer, Brian Perkey, Wyeast Customer Service Mgr/Brewer and Rick Abitbol, Brewmaster at Englewood Rock Bottom.

Stomp Them Grapes (new location!!)
4731 Lipan St
Denver, CO 80211

Here's who I have so far:

jds
Wayne1
Bokonon
culaslucas
jamesnw
MNBugeater
olllllo
MWHC22
velotech
BrokenBrew
BigKahuna
Pirate Ale
Brewtopia
MTpilot
zman
uwjester

Just email:

BigKahuna
Bokonon
Brewtopia
BrokenBrew
culaslucas
jamesnw
jds
JVD_X
MNBugeater
MTpilot
MWHC22
olllllo
Pirate Ale
uwjester
velotech
Wayne1
zman

Email me my handle at gmail dot com. I won't be following this thread very closely once I leave town tomorrow.

Anybody up for a pre-session meetup/lunch on Saturday at 10:30 am at the Wynkoop? Wayne? BigKahuna(s), ollllo?

Edited: Maybe 10:30 would be a better meet-up time, so we can get in line to enter the hall circa 11:30.

Joe,

Wynkoop would be fine with me.

I was there earlier today for the Brain of Craft Brewers judging.

$30,000.00 grand prize. $10,000.00 prize for 1st place in category for pro-brews made with Nottingham yeast.

The Wynkoop Mile HI.P.A. is fantastic. The brewer uses a Randall-esque device to infuse the brew with amazing hop flavor.

While I was there, they were giving away free pints of their Pro-Am beer. This was a Dunkel brewed with their Beer Drinker of the Year. The Dunkel was made with 85% German Munich malt. VERY Nice.

Guys:

The Wynkoop doesn't open until 11:00 on Saturday, which could mean a long time in line or missing the early part of the Saturday afternoon session.

However, the Paramount opens at 10 AM on Saturday, and it's closer to the convention center. I think it may be a better place to meet up at 10:30AM on Saturday.

So? The Paramount cafe at 10:30, or the Wynkoop at 11?.

Joe,

Are you sure the Paramount opens at 10? Their website says 11.

The Rialto Cafe is a bit closer to the Convention Center and they do open early on weekends for brunch.

I'm up for where ever everyone else wants to meet up.

I thought I'd read 10 AM somewhere, Wayne, so I called the Paramount to be sure. They will open for brunch at 10AM this Saturday. The Rialto would be OK too, though.

Your call.

Latest posts

Back