200 or 400 micron Brew Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdouglas19

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to the BIAB method and am looking to purchase my first reusable bags, but don't know if I need the 200 micron or 400 micron bag. I'm not sure as to which one I need to get. It states that 200 is for standard brewing and that 400 is for re-circulation. Not sure if I should just go ahead and get the 400 micron in the even that I re-circulate the wort or just go with the 200 for everything I do? Any suggestions or guidance on sizing and/or bags in particular are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I recirculated with a 200 micron bag and didn't really see significant issues. A compacted bed will get stuck but I found a stir at about 15 minutes and not overdoing the circulation flow fixes it. I got a 400 bag and *maybe* its better but I've still had a compacted bed since. I just stir at about 15 minutes now every batch and recirculate with a very low flow and THAT fixes it.

The 400 is a lot stiffer. Maybe a little harder to empty without flinging some out of the bucket, maybe a little easier to rinse. If you are worried about staining and want to soak it its going to take a bigger container and more of whatever you are soaking it in.

Hey all,

I'm new to the BIAB method and am looking to purchase my first reusable bags, but don't know if I need the 200 micron or 400 micron bag. I'm not sure as to which one I need to get. It states that 200 is for standard brewing and that 400 is for re-circulation. Not sure if I should just go ahead and get the 400 micron in the even that I re-circulate the wort or just go with the 200 for everything I do? Any suggestions or guidance on sizing and/or bags in particular are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I believe the polyester multifilament fabric called Voile used by Wilser has ~210 micron openings. I have used a Wilser bag and hoist for several years when I want to BIAB.

Back