$200 budget - what kettle should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to get a new kettle for 5 gallon all grain batches. Hoping to get some insight on the best bang for my buck. Prefer to have a temperature gauge and valve if possible. Thanks!

I 2nd the Concord recommendation , I used them on my last all grain setup. Easy to add the DIY electro-etching markers too.

Leaves more "meat on the bone" for other brewing gadgets.....

Where are you from? I have the 10 gallon Edelmetal Kettle that I"m trying to sell. I don't think it would ship very well though. I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I'd sell it for $200.

1598992004013.png

You should look into the electric all in one systems like the mash and boil or anvil foundry. They are just a hair more but worth every penny.

I have a mash and boil no pump version, and I love it. On that system you will see the read out on the display swing 5 or 6 degrees during the mash and typically the element will kick on once or maaaaaybe twice. However, I keep a separate thermometer in my mash for the entire hour, and over the course of an hour I only lose 1 degree from the grain bed and I do not use any additional insulation or anything else. I do manual recirculation and stir the grain every 15 minutes during the mash. My last three brews have all been over 80% brew house efficiency. The only down side in my opinion is that it takes a little while to come up to temperature, but I use that time to do other things. There is a learning curve to get your process dialed in, but once you get in the swing, it's a breeze. I love the simplicity and ease of use.

The mash and boil is not set up for doing step mashes using only the element. But I think if you did the steps using hot water additions rather than relying on the element to heat things up, it would work fine.

Between the anvil and the mash and boil I think it comes down to how much volume you want and if you need or want all the extras that come with the anvil system. I do mostly 3 G batches, already had a chiller and didn't want the pump and all its hassle, so the mash and boil was the right choice for me. It is easy to do 5G batches in too, unless you are trying to do a really big beer. The mash and boil has, I think, a16# limit in the mash pipe. My only other advice when using one of these systems would be to get yourself a biab bag to put in the mash pipe. It makes the sparging much easier.

Cheers!

I have a mash and boil no pump version, and I love it. On that system you will see the read out on the display swing 5 or 6 degrees during the mash and typically the element will kick on once or maaaaaybe twice. However, I keep a separate thermometer in my mash for the entire hour, and over the course of an hour I only lose 1 degree from the grain bed and I do not use any additional insulation or anything else. I do manual recirculation and stir the grain every 15 minutes during the mash. My last three brews have all been over 80% brew house efficiency. The only down side in my opinion is that it takes a little while to come up to temperature, but I use that time to do other things. There is a learning curve to get your process dialed in, but once you get in the swing, it's a breeze. I love the simplicity and ease of use.

The mash and boil is not set up for doing step mashes using only the element. But I think if you did the steps using hot water additions rather than relying on the element to heat things up, it would work fine.

Between the anvil and the mash and boil I think it comes down to how much volume you want and if you need or want all the extras that come with the anvil system. I do mostly 3 G batches, already had a chiller and didn't want the pump and all its hassle, so the mash and boil was the right choice for me. It is easy to do 5G batches in too, unless you are trying to do a really big beer. The mash and boil has, I think, a16# limit in the mash pipe. My only other advice when using one of these systems would be to get yourself a biab bag to put in the mash pipe. It makes the sparging much easier.

Cheers!
Great overview. Thanks!

Looking to get a new kettle for 5 gallon all grain batches. Hoping to get some insight on the best bang for my buck. Prefer to have a temperature gauge and valve if possible. Thanks!
Take a look at the Update International 60 quart with lid. It has a tri-clad bottom and is very durable. Mine is 6+ years old and it’s an upgrade from my 10 gal that is now my HLT.

To piggy back off this, anyone have a good recommendation for 3-5 gallon kettles with temp and valve?

To piggy back off this, anyone have a good recommendation for 3-5 gallon kettles with temp and valve?

A temp and a valve can be added to pretty much any kettle. Just need the right kit to do it. Oh and a good drill bit, I like the hole saw kind from Home Depot.

I have been quite happy with my anvil 5.5 gallon with both remp and valve. Only complaint is the temp probe is a pita for Getting in the way of the biab bag, but you would have that problem with anything that has a temp probe in it.

I have been quite happy with my anvil 5.5 gallon with both remp and valve. Only complaint is the temp probe is a pita for Getting in the way of the biab bag, but you would have that problem with anything that has a temp probe in it.
Do you have a link?

Around the same price as the Anvil 5.5 ( Anvil 5.5 Gallon Kettle | Durable, Reliable Quality ) is the SS Brewtech 5.5gal ( 5.5 gal | Brew Kettle Mini ). There's a port, but no temp gauge that comes with it. I didn't want one for my purposes, so it worked out fine. It does come with a blanking bulkhead for the port.

FWIW, if (for some reason in the future) you want a false bottom, NorCal makes one specifically for the SSBT 5.5 ( False Bottom - Kettle - SS Brewing - 5.5 Gallon 22 Quart. NorCal Brewing Solutions ).

I've had the SSBT 5.5 for a couple of months and It's working well for me.

Around the same price as the Anvil 5.5 ( Anvil 5.5 Gallon Kettle | Durable, Reliable Quality ) is the SS Brewtech 5.5gal ( 5.5 gal | Brew Kettle Mini ). There's a port, but no temp gauge that comes with it. I didn't want one for my purposes, so it worked out fine. It does come with a blanking bulkhead for the port.

FWIW, if (for some reason in the future) you want a false bottom, NorCal makes one specifically for the SSBT 5.5 ( False Bottom - Kettle - SS Brewing - 5.5 Gallon 22 Quart. NorCal Brewing Solutions ).

I've had the SSBT 5.5 for a couple of months and It's working well for me.
Anvil also makes a false bottom for their kettles. They also have a kit to allow you to ferment in the kettle if that appeals to you. It is quite inexpensive and I have used it and was pleased with how it did. You can see my write up on it here. FIAK hacks for oxygen-free fermenting haven't bothered with sales links as I live in Canada so won't be using the same retailers as you.

I think the Megapot 1.2 are a pretty decent deal. I like the thick bottoms. I'd go at least 8 gallon, if not 10.

Do you have a link?
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/-p/anv-kettle-5.5gal.htm
I also have the Anvil 5.5. I brew 3 gallon batches. Its heavy duty, large handles make it easy to pick up even with potholders. I agree the only issue I had was the long thermometer probe, and there’s not an option to buy one without the thermometer. The long probe was a problem for BIAB or its a bigger problem if you use an immersion chiller. Anvil steered me to a plug that Blichmann makes so I was able to remove the thermometer and plug the hole. Now I just don’t use the thermometer.

I have Anvil’s heavy duty brew spoon, too. Love it.

I would advise against the brew strainer thing they sell. It was $50. I tried it one time, normal batch, no crazy amount of hops or anything. It clogged instantly and I was not able to use the valve to drain the kettle for that batch. Had to get out my racking cane. No point in having a valve on the kettle if you can’t use it.

Last edited:
For a 5 callon batch, I would say to go with a 10 gallon kettle - it's better to have too much room that not enough (and unless you're planning on going bigger, or do big beer BIAB I personally think 15 gallon is overkill.)
I do recommend a spigot in the kettle - that size can be pretty unweidly to move around, especially full. If you have a regular pot, I personally think a sight glass is overkill. Same with a thermometer unless you're doing BIAB.
|Many brew-specific kettles have volume markings inside - that's extremely helpful.

I spent extra money to get a boil kettle with a nice bottom valve and a thermometer. I don't even use the valve though anymore to drain my wort into my fermenter. The valve would only allow me to pull off wort from one specific area which may or may not have unwanted debris in this area. Instead I bought a nice stainless auto siphon which gives me much better control of where I draw off my wort from the kettle.

I also don't really need the thermometer and prefer to use my handheld digital thermometer. The main use of the thermometer is during cooling with my immersion chiller but the built in thermometer isn't necessarily in the best place in the boil kettle. It is much more accurate to stir my wort during cooling and then stick my handheld digital thermometer into the center of the pot (away from the cold immersion chiller coils) to get a good representative reading of the wort. I got burned once when I stopped chilling when my boil kettle thermometer said 66 degrees but the temperature probe was too close to the cold immersion chiller coil and the wort was really 85 degrees when I got it into the fermenter.

For me, the boil kettle valve and thermometer are just 2 places that make the kettle a little harder to clean with minimal benefit.

Find an old 1/2 bbl sanke keg that doesn't wobble, buy a nice 4.5" angle grinder and make yourself a keggle. You'll have a boil kettle that will outlast any of the mentioned above, and can be dropped off a 2 story building and still be fine. Sure you're height to width ratio is a little narrow, who cares. Add a nice electronic pen type thermometer and ditch the idea you need a thermometer in a boil kettle. Wort boils at ~212. Its just another thing for something like a bag to catch on if you plan on BIAB. All you need after is a 1/2" NPT coupling for a drain. There are many weldless kits out there (ideally it would be welded in). You'll end up with a heavy duty kettle and tools that can be used for other things. If you ever decide to brew bigger batches, the keggle will support up to 10~13 gallon batches#bangforyourbuck

I agree with Apache and Transamguy. I picked up a used 1/4 Keg for $40 which will hold 15.5 gallons. Used angle grinder to cut a hole in the top, used stepper bit to drill two holes in side, 1 for drain valve and the other for sight glass/thermometer. Total cost was about $130.
20200603_184834_resized.jpg
20200809_115836_resized.jpg

Back