20 days and still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven77

Reaction score
Hi. I'm brand new to beer making, but I think there's something wrong. I bought a mahogony coast kit to help me get started. I followed the directions to the "T", ecept for the fermenting temperature. The directions call for a 77F temp, and I live in a cold region so the highest I can get the temps is 68F - 72F. Even still, the directions said after 10 days the beer would finish fermenting. It's been 20 days now and I'm still seeing bubbles from my airlock. Is this normal? I'm a little worried I did something wrong. My first hydrometer got a leak somehow and can't use it... so I've been waiting for the bubbles to stop to let me know when the fermentation is finished.

Thanks for reading.

seven77 said:
Hi. I'm brand new to beer making, but I think there's something wrong. I bought a mahogony coast kit to help me get started. I followed the directions to the "T", ecept for the fermenting temperature. The directions call for a 77F temp, and I live in a cold region so the highest I can get the temps is 68F - 72F. Even still, the directions said after 10 days the beer would finish fermenting. It's been 20 days now and I'm still seeing bubbles from my airlock. Is this normal? I'm a little worried I did something wrong. My first hydrometer got a leak somehow and can't use it... so I've been waiting for the bubbles to stop to let me know when the fermentation is finished.

Thanks for reading.

I'm kinda new to this too. My first batch I had no problems with. My second batch I tried an Irish Stout, and got no fermentation for the first 4 days. My fermenting temp. was around 50, which I was told was too low. I warmed the fermenter up by just leaving it in my living room overnight, which got it up to the mid 70's. No more than 24 hors after that, the thing was bubbling like crazy. What comes to mind in my case is that maybe you're on the cusp of too cold of a temp for the yeast, so they're a little slow going. Couple of questions:

1. What kind of yeast are you using?
2. How many days has it been actually bubbling?
3. If the bubbling slows to one every 2 - 3 minutes, you're pretty much done, I think

Hope this helps!!!!

It'll be done when it's done.

I brew outside, and ferment in a shed that might as well be outside. When the chilly weather started to hit this year, we had a couple or three beers that took a month and were still bubbling in the secondary. If you have a clean ferment going on, it's absolutely no big deal. Let it go and bottle/keg it when it's done.

Don't worry about the low fermentation temp. It will definitely make for a slower fermentation. But it doesn't endanger your beer. If you have a clean fermentation going on, it's all good.

Another thing to consider is the way CO2 in solution and bubbles work. When the yeast actually start munching sugar and *ahem* excreting C02, that CO2 largely dissolves into solution, since the yeast have such tiny CO2 farts. It takes a while before the CO2 saturates the solution. Then, finally, quite a while after CO2 began being produced, larger bubbles form from the smaller bubbles and rise to the surface.

Well, at the end of a fermentation, the reverse it true. A beer can take seemingly *forever* to stop bubbling. But bubbles are hiding everywhere. The solution is at saturation, and, even though no more CO2 is being produced, and the yeast is settling to the bottom, CO2 is still bubbling out of solution slowly. It also bubbles out of the yeast cake at the bottom. If you move your container, you knock a lot of it out of solution, and it bubbles like mad, like a soda.

In any event, hopefully I gave you something to read for a while, so your beer can finish fermenting. Because as long as you have a nice clean fermentation going, all it needs is a little more time until it settles out and is nice and calm on top. Cool, slow fermentation produce excellent, clean beer, so don't shortchange yourself by drinking it young. :)

Happy New Year, y'all!

Janx

OK. Thanks. The bubbles have actually slowed down to once every 40 seconds or so, and my new hydrometer is coming in the mail any day now. I was a little worried my first batch would have some sort of weird infection or something. I'll wait 'er out, thanks!

Back