20# CO2 tanks - what to do with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsleftofyou

Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bit of an odd predicament:

Awhile back I had 3 20lb CO2 tanks given to me by my mom's church, since after repeated calls to the soda distributor they still hadn't picked them up. They had been sitting there for a few years, so I didn't feel bad taking them (along with 7 ball lock kegs!).

Since one of the tanks was full, I hadn't had to visit the situation of getting them filled until recently. As it turns out, the local Pepsi distro (whose name is on the tanks) closed up and we're now getting Pepsi from a regional place who has no office in the area.

So now, what do I do with these 3 tanks? I ended up picking up a CO2 tank from my local Coke distributor for $20 + $25 deposit. Of course they won't fill a Pepsi tank, and all of the local welding shops want too much even if they would fill it (they charge over $40 just to fill a 5lb tank, don't want to know what they'd charge for a 20lb).

There's nothing wrong with these tanks but it seems that I have no use for them now. Should I throw them up on craigslist? What should I ask for them? Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Someone is selling them full in my area for $100, I'd say you could reasonably get $50-$60 for them as long as they hydro stamp is good on them.

Check the certification date stamped on the top of the tank. CO2 tanks need to be hydro statically tested and re-certified every 5 years and the tanks you have may be out of cert. It cost me $20 to have my 10lb tank re-certified. It also costs me $18 to have the 10lb tank filled. The welding supply houses in my area don't fill tanks, only swap, and they charge way too much!

I get mine serviced and filled at a local fire extinguisher supply business. Check to see if there is a fire extinguisher supply business in your area and ask them about the tanks. They won't care if it says pepsi or coke on it. A CO2 tank is a CO2 tank.

Nanobru said:
What I definitely would not do is remove the valve, cut off the bottom, and turn it into a cannon. That would be bad. Especially three of them together.

Winner.

Check a local indoor garden shop/hydroponic store... They often do fills or exchanges in 20# varieties.

It's actually surprisingly cheap to fill a #20 vs a #5, as my BIL likes to rub in all the time :p

If you are thinking about selling them, I would like to talk to you about them, and see some pics?

pm sent

Grind off all of the pepsi markings and bring them to hbar in Milwaukee! They will cert and fill them for about 30 dollars. Great place minus being in a bad part of town.

Don't grind the tank, you can alter it's structure. You don't want it blowing up. Just use some jb weld in the stamp that says pepsi. Use a file and sandpaper until it's smooth. Then paint over it.

Look for a fire extinguisher service place in your area. I go to one of those to get my CO2 tanks filled. Cost me about $17 to get my 20# filled, $15 for the 10# tank too. I think the 5# was either $10 or $12 to get it filled. They don't care what it says on it, as long as the hydro date stamp is within the good range.

As an alternate, you could post them for same in the classified section here. If they have good hydro stamps on them, you could easily get $50-$75 each. Sell two, keep one, once you find a good place to get them filled of course.

As for covering up the Pepsi logo, use some tape, or paint over it. Just don't do anything that alters the structural integrity of the tank (like grinding it :rolleyes:)...

Two of them need to be re-certified, and the third expires next month. There's no way that I'm driving over 4 hours to Milwaukee just to deal with some CO2 tanks! ;) The local fire extinguisher shop is the same as one of the local welding shops - they want an arm and a leg.

I don't want to hassle with shipping these to anyone (so please stop PMing me about it). I'll see if anyone in my homebrew club wants them, otherwise they'll probably just go on CL.

Alternatively, you can check with local paintball shops. The one I've dealt with typically doesn't even check the certification date and they fill the 20# tank for about $20.

I like the JB weld idea. I'm going to have to try that on my 20# tank since it has a nice CCBC stamp (Coca Cola Bottling Company).

Latest posts

Back