20 beers. No hangover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I'm a bit worried that I can handle beer like that. I only weigh ~150 lbs and I can drink like a fat alcholic. I generally drink 1-2 like 3 days a week and a 6er once a month or so, but I murdered a keg (6% ABV) of homebrew Sunday and I felt great the next day. Anyone else love the brew a little too much? Alcoholism run in the family? It does run in my family, but I have always been a social drinker who sticks to the 1-2 without my friends around.

1-2 3 days a week isn't bad at all. My buddy commented one day about how great he felt after drinking my brew all night one night. Maybe it's the vitamin B?

I come from the land of binge drinkers. It is how we are here. I seldom drink during the week but come the weekend...I am a BAD fish...and yes, I love the lack of feeling like crap from homebrew. HOWEVER, you still can get dehydrated but that is nothing a glass or 2 of water won't fix.

:drunk:

what was the ABV? and how long was the 20 beers? thats not TOO bad, i'm sure most of us have been there :)

6% across 8 hours and I did drink water as it was hot as hell here and I was brewing outside. Not especially worried that I have a problem yet, Just always hear that its the people that handle thier drinks well that end up with problems.

6% across 8 hours and I did drink water as it was hot as hell here and I was brewing outside. Not especially worried that I have a problem yet, Just always hear that its the people that handle thier drinks well that end up with problems.

I weigh 135, and can handle quite a lot of beer without even getting tipsy. It's really about tolerance, eating something when drinking, and drinking water.

I just had some blood work done, and my liver enzymes are fine and so is everything else. I am not an alcoholic and I don't have a problem with the amount I drink. I had commercial beer last night, and aside from being tired today (lack of sleep!) I have no hangover but I do tend to get headaches if I overdo on commerical beer. I never get hungover from homebrew, though.

Usually I can get a hangover from just a couple of beers, homebrew or not. But sometimes I can get a bit buzzy and feel just fine the next day. Wish it were more often.

What I hate is when I have like 2 beers after dinner and then wake up with a stinger that takes all day to go away.

Next plan of action? Hair of the Dog! And I'm not talking about the Nazareth album!

the worst I ever get is sluggishness the following day, but a few bottles of water and a bagel or two and I'm good to go. But both sides of my family are full of heavy drinkers so I have good genetics for drinking.

Beer is at best mildly intoxicting unless we are talking some of the imperial stuff. It comes with an automatic shutoff switch...you get full before you get super drunk. I find a 5-7% ABV brew to be something that I basically drink all week long when I am not at work as my primary beverage. Consuming maybe at average 4-6 pints a day and if there is a party or if I drop the hammer on a Saturday, I can easily toss 12-15 pints back in the course of a day without question.

It is my belief that hard liquor can really lead you down a path of quick drunkeness and self destruction if you let it. I haven't had a drop of distilled liquor in over three years. I find the process used to make liquors and distilled beverages somewhat disgusting.

I find this behavior perfectly normal so long as you aren't getting blindingly drunk and are still able to function in your professional and family life as expected. I find it unnaceptable to be drunk around my children. However, I have no problem with them embracing beer, learning about brewing and thinking of it as a normal beverage...which I think it is. You are of course given the occosional pass (Birthday, new Years...) to tie a good one on.

So I say, keep on rockin.

The only thing that I make myself do to "earn" all my beers is strength/weight training and cardio sessions five a days a week. Gotta stay in shape.

I had gone a LONG time without a hangover, until last month... I went to SAVOR in DC and drank A LOT, and then in my drunken wisdom I decided to go out afterwards with a buddy of mine. We went to Adams Morgan where I was definitely 'the old dude' in most of the bars we went into (mainly a college BMC crowd). The few bars that we went into only sold BMC so after 4 hours of amazing craft beer at SAVOR we started drinking Bud heavy.... I had about 5 before we left and the next morning I was hungover like crazy.

Uncle Rico??

uncle-rico-picture.jpg

-I bet I can throw a football over those moutains

I've gotten in the habit of ordering a beer and a glass of water at the same time when I'm at the bar. I find that it makes the difference as to whether I can enjoy the 4th or 5th pint in a session - keeping some water in me not only keeps me from getting too ripped, but it also keeps me from being dehydrated in the morning.

I'm way past that part in my life where getting hammered and acting a fool sounds like a good idea (my birthdays and other people's weddings are sometimes excluded) just because I don't really ever have a day where I can afford to be more than a little tired the next morning.

I am a big guy and I am belligerent after a 6-pack. I can defo drink more if I am moving around and spread out throughout the day. Its bellied up at the bar thats no good.

Ya, I normally feel fine in the morning regardless of how much homebrew I drink. On Sunday I made the mistake of switching to 8.5% apfelwein about 12 beers in because me and my friend kicked the other 3 kegs I had on tap in about a 30 minute period and it was only 10 pm so we weren't going to stop that early. In the morning it felt like someone was driving a railroad spike into my forehead.:drunk:

I've gotten in the habit of ordering a beer and a glass of water at the same time when I'm at the bar. I find that it makes the difference as to whether I can enjoy the 4th or 5th pint in a session - keeping some water in me not only keeps me from getting too ripped, but it also keeps me from being dehydrated in the morning.

I'm way past that part in my life where getting hammered and acting a fool sounds like a good idea (my birthdays and other people's weddings are sometimes excluded) just because I don't really ever have a day where I can afford to be more than a little tired the next morning.

I feel ya on the too old for that. MY last birthday I did have a hangover, but I have no idea how much I drank only that I was switching up between beer,tequila,vodka, and Jager all night. I deserved that hangover. I do think my unfiltered homebrew makes a difference.

I'm a complete cheap date. I drink maybe 2 cups of beer off the taps during the week (never a 16 oz. pint, stop using that incorrectly people!) and get slightly buzzed after one 7% beer. I can end up with a headache the next day after just one if I don't drink 2 cups of water for every beer.

On the weekends, I'll have 2-4 during the course of a day if staying home. I get drunk but not sloppy. I never binge anymore though. 2-4 is my party volume also (which is good since we have at least 1 party every month)...

Usually I can get a hangover from just a couple of beers, homebrew or not. But sometimes I can get a bit buzzy and feel just fine the next day. Wish it were more often.

What I hate is when I have like 2 beers after dinner and then wake up with a stinger that takes all day to go away.

I have the same issue. Sometimes I can have just one beer and wake up feeling horrible. Other times I can have 8 and feel just fine the next day.

To the OP, depends on how old you are too...I have noticed that my hangovers get worse as age goes up. And I am not old by any means. When I was 21 I could drink all night and wake up fine. Now, I have to plan for a day of uselessness.

I drink 1-3 12 oz 5-6% abv homebrew bottles a night. I average 1-2 nights a week with no beer. Once a week I will maybe do 4-5 bottles. I have no set schedule, if I feel like drinking a beer I have one. I usually drink less when out at a bar or party because I find most commercial beer sub-par and expensive. I REALLY like the flavor, aroma, and carbonation of homebrew. I think if I could make it taste the same and have no alcohol, that would be just fine. I ride my road bike a lot to keep in shape, so I don't end up looking like most of the guys at my work :ban:

I agree that hard liquor leads me down the bad road. I like to drink a lot of liquid so when its the hard stuff I get wrecked up WAY too fast and it always ends up with my pants off somewhere. Since I am a father of two young girls, I find this behavior is unacceptable, so I don't do the hard stuff anymore. Plus, it gives me thee wicked hang-over (vommiting).:(

My theory is, if you or someone else who means a lot to you (your family) thinks you may have a problem, then you should cut down or seek help. Sometimes YOU may not think you have a problem, but those you interact with daily may see something you don't.

I do not drink during the week at all ... interferes with work. I will have a brew or two over the weekend, maybe even three or four if I have company. Never more than five or six in a 24 hour period. Getting totally intoxicated cannot happen as I am on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. I do like a nice sip of whiskey on an occasion to go with an IPA ... a small shot of JD chased with a Two Hearted Ale... real nice, but only ONE and only a special occasions. Hangovers are a thing of the past ... age it seems has caught me!

I used to be able to drink like a fish, stopped for a few years and now I get "tipsy" after 2-3. I find the younger you are the more you seem to be able to handle, I guess it's the extra brain cells that haven't died off yet.

Dr. says 3 beers per day is the limit, ok but there are times when I go wayy past that and unless its loaded with fusels I still wake up feeling fine.

7 Schneider Aventinus & 1 Rochefort 10 and I was feeling weak @ 7am but manage to walk-it-off.

Pub crawling around Brugge,Be.- 14 pubs = 14 hi-gravity beers and 6am came really early:drunk: Thankfully I got some sleep on the train back to amsterdam.

age is just a number if you take care of yourself.....:tank:

Reminds me of the guy I used to work with that said he polished off a case of beer every night and can drink a 30-pack in a night. At the company happy hour, he was tipsy after 6 beers.

I never get hangovers anymore. Last one I had was a couple of years ago from drinking 5 Rochefort 10s in just a few hours. That really hurt the next day.

Even though I drink nearly every day I am off work ( I only work about 12 days a month), I am probably a light weight. I get a sweet buzz off my first pint so don't usually have or need more than 2-3. My consumption is also lessened by the fact that my wife has been pregnant or nursing since 2009 and won't be able to drink with me until mid 2012 so I just haven't been in a partying mindset.

I can only recall ever having even a headache one time in my life from drinking, and I have been totally smashed puking passed out drunk on a few occasions in my younger life.. Several different types of home made wine passed around over the night and a pretty good blaster the next morning. I am a BIG ( read fat) guy that weighs in at close to 340 pounds. A NORMAL night for me is no beer, but a big night is 3-4 homebrews. I can drink whiskey pretty heavy and be fine, but a couple of beers ( especially draft) and I am pretty wiped out.

I'm a bit worried that I can handle beer like that. I only weigh ~150 lbs and I can drink like a fat alcholic. I generally drink 1-2 like 3 days a week and a 6er once a month or so, but I murdered a keg (6% ABV) of homebrew Sunday and I felt great the next day. Anyone else love the brew a little too much? Alcoholism run in the family? It does run in my family, but I have always been a social drinker who sticks to the 1-2 without my friends around.

Another reason for lack of a hangover may simple be that the yeast is replacing the vitamins that the beer depletes from your body, i NEVER get a hang over from home brew, no matter how much i drink, and i do not drink very often, maybe twice a month.

You'll generally get a hangover from dehydration (headache), low blood sugar as result of the excess insulin produced to deal with the sugar (giving the lethargic feeling), and sometimes you'll get a cold, or blocked nose etc due to vitamin c deficiency making you more prone to illness.

If you drink plenty of water, supplement vitamins and minerals and eat food that is easy to digest (fruit and veg) after drinking or for breakfast the next day, you'll find you won't suffer from hangovers as much or as severely as you used to.

Another reason for lack of a hangover may simple be that the yeast is replacing the vitamins that the beer depletes from your body, i NEVER get a hang over from home brew, no matter how much i drink, and i do not drink very often, maybe twice a month.

If you don't get a hangover from homebrew, you didn't drink enough. I can personally tell you that it's all too possible.

For me (and I would imagine most) my tolerance is dictated by the previous 24 hours... What I've eaten (starches are always good) and how much water I've consumed. If I haven't eaten a lot lately I might be calling it quits for the night after 6-10 beers, but if I've been good, then I could probably polish off a case if I ever kept count.

However, once I have 2-3+ beers, when I get home for the night I'll take a vitamin C and a B complex pill, chase it with a double shot of pickle juice and put down a quart of water. As bizarre as it sounds it works. Mostly it works because of many point listed above. The water targets dehydration, but so does the pickle juice. It's been determined that pickle juice has about 15 times more good electrolytes than Gatorade which has double of poweraid.

The vitamin C helps to target some of the deficiencies that the beer creates, and the B complex helps to boost your metabolism to process said alcohol.

I may not sleep real great that night (mostly due to the B Complex), however; I can say that I almost never have a hangover by morning and the few mornings that I do I really deserved them... Generally those nights included substantial amounts of liquor (read shots) on top of a whole lot of beer.

On my last trip back to Vermont, I had a day of drinking in which I managed to down 18 bottles of microbrews (no homebrews as my homebrew base was too far away).

The next morning I felt....

Absolutely terrible. To top it off, it was the day of that March snowstorm this year. I had to go out and shovel. I was staying with my parents and my mom remarked to my girlfriend: "He looks a little slow today. Must have been one heckuva night last night."

If you don't get a hangover from homebrew, you didn't drink enough. I can personally tell you that it's all too possible.

Well honestly now that i think about it, the only thing that has ever gave me a hangover is Everclear. I have put down well over a case of home brew @ 5-6% and no hang over. Maybe its just how my body works?

I can't imagine drinking 20 of anything including water in 8 hours. Ain't that much room in my body for that much liquid. :mug:

I can't imagine drinking 20 of anything including water in 8 hours. Ain't that much room in my body for that much liquid. :mug:

Trust me I marked the hell out of my territory in my yard all day and well into the night. I pissed clear the entire next day.

Drink, drink, drink, purge...

repeat approximately 7 times.

Never said anything about holding all 20 units of liquid in your body at the same time.

I used to never get hang overs when I was younger. Now though, I seem to get them all the time. Even if I didn't drink much. Feels bad man.

Back