2+ weeks and still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortwood

Reaction score
Hey all, I put a fairly basic strong bitter in the bucket 17 days ago and I'm still getting a bubble every 18 seconds through the airlock. I was under the impression it should have been done at least a week ago.

Should I wait it out? I really want to try it to see where it's at. I don't have a hydrometer yet, it's on my list of things to get on my next order.

If it has warmed up since fermentation, it's possible the bubbles are CO2 from fermentation off-gassing. The hydrometer test would be a good idea if you can get one soon. Otherwise, it might help to tell us some stats, like yeast strain, fermentation temperature, and OG.

If it has warmed up since fermentation, it's possible the bubbles are CO2 from fermentation off-gassing. The hydrometer test would be a good idea if you can get one soon. Otherwise, it might help to tell us some stats, like yeast strain, fermentation temperature, and OG.

Of course, sorry. Here's the recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/591178/better-bitter

Temp has been 65-70° F. Has been blowing a bubble every 18 seconds for probably a week now.

If its bubblin, it aint done. Many factors could be involved. Don't worry about it, just leave it alone until it stop bubbling and looks to be settling. Then take a hydrometer sample and see if it jives with what you expected. Patience, Grasshoppa :)

For a variety of reasons, your fermentation may have sort of stalled out and been slower than normal. I leave beers for 14 days in a fermenter as a rule, so 17 days is not an extreme situation. W/o a hydrometer you are gambling that you have reached terminal gravity making it safe to bottle (assuming you plan to bottle). The good thing is that your beer is safe sealed with an airlock.

You may be safe to bottle now, but the hydrometer is a very important tool that you should use on a regular basis.

Hey all, I put a fairly basic strong bitter in the bucket 17 days ago and I'm still getting a bubble every 18 seconds through the airlock. I was under the impression it should have been done at least a week ago.

Should I wait it out? I really want to try it to see where it's at. I don't have a hydrometer yet, it's on my list of things to get on my next order.

Your beer is probably done and probably has been done for more than a week but the only way to be sure is to use a hydrometer so go ahead and order one. The beer will be fine just sitting in the fermenter, even it it takes a couple months to get the hydrometer. If the beer isn't done and you bottle it, you get to experince bottle bombs and lose the whole batch of beer. Don't play the odds with probablies, make sure before you bottle.

Check with a hydrometer.

Has the Krausen fallen back into the beer?

I haven't popped the top off the bucket, didn't want to disturb it unless necessary. I'll check it when I get home from work today.

And I guess I'll be ordering that hydrometer. . . :yes:

I haven't popped the top off the bucket, didn't want to disturb it unless necessary. I'll check it when I get home from work today.

And I guess I'll be ordering that hydrometer. . . :yes:

You make a good point about popping the top off the bucket unless necessary.

Great plan to go ahead and get your hydrometer. It will be a valuable tool for sure. You'll quickly learn that airlock activity isn't always a fool proof way of determining if a beer is done.

As you gain experience thru reading and brewing, you'll see where brewers are concerned with unnecessary oxygen exposure. I am not intending to cloud your brain with unnecessary clutter at this early stage, but you'll eventually realize the need for as limited O2 exposure as possible. Opening the lid repeatedly to draw wort samples is part of this exposure.

When I used plastic pails as fermenter buckets, I bought a large syringe with a tube that could extend down in thru my rubber grommet when I drew a sample. Just ease out the airlock and take a sample. I even found one of these syringes w/tube in an auto parts house where folks draw used oil out of small engines for oil changes.

Of course the main goal is not to get bogged down with too much crap (just yet), and have a great time making beers!! :rock:

If its bubblin, it aint done. Many factors could be involved. Don't worry about it, just leave it alone until it stop bubbling and looks to be settling. Then take a hydrometer sample and see if it jives with what you expected. Patience, Grasshoppa :)

Yep, I once had an imperial stout bubbling for almost 3 weeks. It was in a clear plastic carboy and I could see it wasn't done yet. Just leave it alone. Best to let it ferment for too long than for too short.

You make a good point about popping the top off the bucket unless necessary.

Of course the main goal is not to get bogged down with too much crap (just yet), and have a great time making beers!! :rock:
Yeah, the guy doesn't have a hydrometer yet. I can see that this is the optimal time to start with the oxygen staling conversation.

Yeah, the guy doesn't have a hydrometer yet. I can see that this is the optimal time to start with the oxygen staling conversation.

Well yes, I see your point and I also made it that too much information too soon can seem intimidating. Drawing wort samples thru a grommet is actually a pretty elementary process for convenience sake. The side benefit (the OP may not know this yet) is reduced O2 exposure. None the less, sampling with a syringe is easy to do and not overly challenging.

I remember reading Palmer's How to Brew book as starter reading material. At that point I hadn't brewed a beer yet. Frankly, most of the information went straight over my head, but at least I was exposed to the vocabulary I would learn more about later. Then as I brewed, I learned more and decided to re-read the book again. Suddenly, the light bulb came on and I then understood what i had once read but didn't fully absorb. Having read it way back seemed to help me connect the dots and the big picture developed from there.

Last edited:
Back