2" vs. 4" RTD probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeguy

Reaction score
I will be using it in a T pipe coming out from the coil. My concern is that with the 2" it won't stick in enough after I add the 1/4" to 1/2" NPT adaptor while the 4" would give a better reading? But then the 4" would have more flow restriction. Which do you guys use? Does the 2" still go into enough wort with the adaptor?

My thermocouple I'll be using is only about 1/4" long into the keg. It's the same one Pol used on his first electric build and it seemed to work fine. On the other hand, I don't think I'd be worried about a thermometer probe causing any flow issues if you went the with 4"

I will be using it in a T pipe coming out from the coil. My concern is that with the 2" it won't stick in enough after I add the 1/4" to 1/2" NPT adaptor while the 4" would give a better reading? But then the 4" would have more flow restriction. Which do you guys use? Does the 2" still go into enough wort with the adaptor?

Is this for a rims chamber? If so I ended up using a 4inch after using 2 reducers from the T.

As you may already know... approx. 1/4" of the end of the RTD is the only place where the platinum resistence element is affected by temperature. The remaining length is just a sheath.

It is for a HERMS system. The T will be placed after the coil and before the MLT. Good to know only the tip reads. How much "blockage" do you guys feel the probe puts in the pipe?

Latest posts

Back