2 vs. 3 gallon boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Studnougat

Reaction score
Hello all! Thanks for all the questions and answers on the forums. I have avoided asking a lot of questions by snooping through the previously answered ones already here.

I have always wanted to homebrew and just recently started in earnest (just made my 5th 5 gallon partial extract batch).

My question pertains to the volume of the initial boil/steep. I have a big ole pot that is capable of holding just over 4 gallons, then a large pot that can hold just under three gallons. The recipes I have seen call for a 3 gallon volume for the steeping of the grains and incorporation of the extract/hops/whatnot. The 3 gallon boil has worked out fine, the only problem that I have run into is that I don't have a great spot to cool off the wort in the larger pot. It takes FOREVER to get it down to pitching temp. As I am not really ready to buy a wort chiller, the last batch I just used the smaller pot with a 2 gallon volume and was able to bring the wort to a pitching temperature much faster (at least 3 hours faster as I was able to fit a lot more ice in the sink with the pot).

Other than a small loss of efficiency when steeping grains, can anyone think of a reason to not just go with the 2 gallon boil? When I used the 2 gallon for the last batch, the extract dissolved nicely, and the beer tastes great (an Irish Red Ale). I figure since I am doing partial extract, the loss of efficiency on the grains won't mean as much to the finished product. Anyways, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Hop utilization is better the more you boil and also if you have all the extract in from the get go you have a higher sugar content which will also lessen hop utilization. But as you've found out from experience, it is not a show-stopper. All my first two dozen batches were 2.5 gal boils of extract and steeping grains and with the exception of that gnarly discovery that I detest black patent malt and fuggles hops, all of them came out fine also. (Mild English Ale, my eye. Dirt Ale, more like it)

Two reasons for larger boils:

1) Hop utilization. Larger volume/lower gravity will extract more AAs from the hops ..... and probably other hop qualities such as aroma and flavor.

So why not jut toss in extra hops to make up for it!!!!!!!!

2) There seems to be a maximum amount of IBUs that a volume of wort can hold. Generally accepted as 100 IBUs (I think it is higher, but that is a different debate - but there is a limit; saturation if that is easier to envision). So if you want to make hoppy brew with decent bitterness, a 2 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch will limit the maximum IBUs to 40, no matter how many hops you add. Additional IBUs are lost thru the fermentation process.

Back