2 Vessel-2 element K-rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsund86

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice. I am looking to purchase a high gravity brewing 10 gallon 2 vessel k-rims system, however i would like to add a heating element to the mash tun, or purchase a second brew kettle instead of a mash tun and add a false bottom under or over the element.

high gravity said no, but i am looking for diy options (since i've never actually seen an e-kettle in person) is that feasible? can you add a false bottom to these kettles or does the element take up too much room?

the element would never actually be on during mashing, i am looking to do ten gallon batches, but then once the mash is done, clean the tun, then transfer 5 back to the second kettle to start a second boil where i could add different hops or steep other grains to make a second beer. i rarely want 10 gallons of the same beer but like the production time of 10 gallons.

Im actually building a system like this at the moment 20 gallon pots to be honest iv sorced everything from the net n ebay so it hasnt dented my pocket that much really iv got a 2400 tri clamp elemtent in my mash tun with a false bottom with about 3 inches head space my pots get back from the tig welders in few days ill post up some picks if it helps when they get here

If you have 240v access and only need one element in each kettle that takes the least space vs 2 elements 120v. Since you plan on running both kettles boiling at the same time it sounds like you’ll need a 50+ amp service or multiple 120v circuits.

If you’re dedicated to always splitting the batch, i suggest mashing in a bag in your “MT” with a false bottom over the element (brew hardware). Then you can easily pull the bag, drain, split the wort between kettles and start the boil.

Like Bobby said... Just build 2 systems if you really want do to this, you can make completely different recipes.
If not...not sure what all you can do with the same wort? A blonde ale and a pale ale? a pale ale and an ipa? A stout and more bitter stout :) Not same beer but would be similar for sure.

Look at the Colorado brewing systems. The have some systems that use 2 kettles to mash. Pretty much two BIAB kettles linked with pumps.

Back