2 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex C.

alexilabranche
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if a recipe says to use a Pilsner (2 row) Ger is it fine to use a Pilsner (2 row) Bel or vis versa??

Either will work. What type of beer are you brewing?

Well last weekend we brewed a Saison and we bought a 25kg of Pilsner (2 row) Ger and now I am looking for recepies to get
through the bag. So now I looking mostly at Pilsner but really open for anything. Any suggestion?

I know some folks in here will swear that they can tell the difference between a beer with regular 2 row vs one with continental Pilsner. And it is very possible that it's not just their bias speaking, some people do have amazing palates, but the guy at Brulosophy did an exbeeriment where the results suggested people in his sample were unable to reliably distinguish between them. Even the author had trouble figuring out which beer was done with what base malt.

So, first comment would probably be that it can even be used wherever regular 2 row is called for. And you should be able to use German and Belgian pils interchangeably without major impacts.

I've used a variety of Pilsen malts for a variety of beers. While there's something to be said for using German Pilsen for German styles, etc., I don't worry too much about it. Use what you've got!

Well last weekend we brewed a Saison and we bought a 25kg of Pilsner (2 row) Ger and now I am looking for recepies to get
through the bag. So now I looking mostly at Pilsner but really open for anything. Any suggestion?
I use pilsner as a base for 75% of by ales/Lagers. I even mix Maris Otter and Pils malts together sometimes.
You can brew a Pale ale, IPA, Bo Pils?

I know some folks in here will swear that they can tell the difference between a beer with regular 2 row vs one with continental Pilsner. And it is very possible that it's not just their bias speaking, some people do have amazing palates, but the guy at Brulosophy did an exbeeriment where the results suggested people in his sample were unable to reliably distinguish between them. Even the author had trouble figuring out which beer was done with what base malt.

So, first comment would probably be that it can even be used wherever regular 2 row is called for. And you should be able to use German and Belgian pils interchangeably without major impacts.
I find if you are making an American style with lots of C-hops then the base isn't so important. One of the only times it's really distinguishable when you are brewing a continental Lager style

There are nuance flavor differences between different base malts depending upon the barley variety, as well as how its processed.

In beers that highlight that flavor, such as a German Pilsner, using american 2-row, or even british MO, it's not going to taste the same as if you used continental pilsner malts. Same goes for hops.

This doesn't mean it won't taste good though.

using up pils is easy - you can put it in any MO recipe - I use 40% pils / 50% MO quite often

I like the odd full pils but find it hard to use a full bag up - also I find MO on it's own too strong a flavour - so it works out well (also makes the beer clearer)

I have read people say boil pils for 90mins so I do a longer boil if I use pils

Kolsch and or Helles if you can lager.

Latest posts

Back