2 row, wheat brew.... Decoct or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
I dont want to start a debate, but i am planning this brew, and would like to know if decocting would be beneficial or not....

5 lbs two row
5 lbs wheat
1 lb of crystal 10L
1/2 lb flaked wheat

Or....how would you mash?

I only use it when I'm brewing w/o using crystal malt (like a hefe or bock or other german beer)

In short crystal malt may be used as a substitute for flavor in a brew that has highly modified grains (typically any malt sold in this day and age)

It isn't ideal to brew a german beer w/o decoction mashing but I wouldn't advise it if you are using crystal malts as you can exagerate the carmelization flavors

That's my 2 cents

Basically decoction mashing broke down the crushed grain and made starches more easily accessible to the enzymes but it also imparted a carmelization to some sugars that were already converted. That gives you the increase in maltiness and carmel flavors

But since we used modified grains we can skip the decoctions but doing so would make for a very thin mouthfeel to the beer (and lighter color), so adding crystal malt will make up for that.

So no its not needed for your recipe, it will be fine for step mashing or single infusion

Beneficial? Maybe, maybe not? It's certainly not necessary if that's what you're asking. You could throw in a bit of melanoidin malt if you wanted that decoction taste without the effort. And if you're going for a clean American wheat, I wouldn't bother. Single infusion will work just fine.

It depends on what you want the beer to taste like. You don't need to decoct but you will get some different elements out of the decoction mash. So if you can explain the flavor profile you want in the beer that would give you better answers.

It looks like you are going for some kind of dunkelweizen. Those can range from very sweet to slightly roasty. With the crystal malt you'll get a sweet, caramelly dunkelweizen. You probably don't need the decoction mash if you want that profile but if you want to add some toasty and more complex caramel flavors, the decoction mash may be beneficial but as KuntzBrewing said, doing both the decoction and crystal malt may overdo the caramel profile.

Not looking for anything too special, but I have made some wheat beers that didnt turn out well. I had read on HBT that with high wheat grain bills, decocting was a good idea.

Back