2-row SMaSH 3C?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, I am wanting to a smash since I have an unlimited supply of 2-row and not sure which of the 3C's to use, i have all three but I have heard that citra is maybe not a great pairing with 2-row, just want to get a feel for what to HBT thinks about those hops in a smash, dont hesitate to offer up recipe ideas also, i will be US-05, and 5 BIAB

Citra would pair fine IMO. Look at the hop flavor profiles and pick whichever hop matches what you're going for. Careful not to go too high on the IBUs because there won't be any malt character to take the edge off.

Thanks, i was thinking about sticking with citra, but I have the hops so I think that I will try cascades in another batch sometime also, was looking at about 30 IBUs, is that too much, for either hop? also do about 2 oz dry hop for 7 and 1 oz for 10 days

Thanks, i was thinking about sticking with citra, but I have the hops so I think that I will try cascades in another batch sometime also, was looking at about 30 IBUs, is that too much, for either hop? also do about 2 oz dry hop for 7 and 1 oz for 10 days
I usually never exceed 50 IBUs on my IPA/pale ales with really light malt backbone and they're usually in the 30-45 IBU range. I used to love really bitter beers but I've backed off that the past year or two. 30 might do the trick for you. What kind of IBUs do you typically like in your beers?

I'd go citra as well . 30 ibu is good for a smash imo as well. Sounds sort of like a citra pale ale .

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, what does everyone think about the dry hops schedule, and closed transfers with my big mouth bubbler, I think that I have an O2 issue with some past batches

Thanks everyone, what does everyone think about the dry hops schedule, and closed transfers with my big mouth bubbler, I think that I have an O2 issue with some past batches
I usually DH 4-6 oz in a 5.5 gal batch of pale/wcipa. Do this post fermentation, then soft crash to 55, bring back up to 65-70 and split the DH into 2 separate doses, usually 72 and 48 hrs to insure good contact with beer.

WOW that is more dry hops than I usually but im certainly giving it a shot, bad part is I dont have fermentation control yet so I am at the mercy of whatever the temp in my basement is.

Which of the “3 C’s”?

Personally I like Chinook and Columbus. They are both fun to do a smash with and buck the current trend of all tropical fruit all in your face.

Citra, cascade, centennial, hopefully can get to this weekend, if I do a 5 BIAB I might do 2 batches with some slight variations, just not sure what they will be yet, thanks for the info everyone
:mug:

I make a lot of smash beers, it is a good way to see what a hop has to offer. I normally only use 2oz of hops in a 5gal batch to get up to about 25 to 30IBUs, no dry hopping just mostly late kettle additions.

I am not a big fan of citra by itself as it comes across like mosquito candle to me, but find it mixes really well with others. There are others but equinox, cascade and strata all pair nicely with citra for me.

If you do a few SMASH beer close enough together you could blend them in the glass to see how they combine.

I've only done a couple of smashes, but both times I shot for a 1:1 bitterness ratio (using Beersmith 2) and they came out great. Both were 1.050 beers with about 50 IBUs of Simcoe and then El Dorado.

If it were me, I'd do the same with Citra. A 1.050 Citra SMaSH with about 50 IBUs. I'd make the hop schedule were all I got all the IBUs from late additions (no 60 minute charge).

I've only done a couple of smashes, but both times I shot for a 1:1 bitterness ratio (using Beersmith 2) and they came out great. Both were 1.050 beers with about 50 IBUs of Simcoe and then El Dorado.

If it were me, I'd do the same with Citra. A 1.050 Citra SMaSH with about 50 IBUs. I'd make the hop schedule were all I got all the IBUs from late additions (no 60 minute charge).
I really like that plan, I kinda like where your going with this one enough that I may do a 10 gallon not the 5 gal BIAB, also because Im running low on the tap at home and need to replenish the stock

Back