2 packs of hornidal kviek in neipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Impromptu brew day Saturday and wanna use the rest of grain I have on hand which will make a big neipa at 1.086 og. I have one pack of hornidal on hand and no time to make a starter, should I pitch two packs or would the one be enough in a beer this big??? I’ve used hornidal once before but that was one pack into a more modest og neipa. I’ve read about underpitching this yeast for more esters but didn’t know how much of an under pitch was to much. It’ll be fermenting in the mid 90’s to 100max range and fg will be 1.014-1.016.

No one?? Is two packs TOO Much? I don’t wanna over attenuate a neipa so I mash at 154. Just did one pack of Voss into a 1.077og and it got down to 1.016 in two days.

You literally don’t even need to use 1/4 of one pack. The pitch rate needed for kviek yeast are extremely low. It’s a tablespoon of slurry for 5 gallons < 1.075 or a gram of dried kviek

You literally don’t even need to use 1/4 of one pack. The pitch rate needed for kviek yeast are extremely low. It’s a tablespoon of slurry for 5 gallons < 1.075 or a gram of dried kviek
So I should be good with at least just one pack for a 1.088 beer.

So I should be good with at least just one pack for a 1.088 beer.
Absolutely. Your be actually over pitching. Make sure you harvest some yeast at high krausen and save. You’ll never have to buy Hornindal again lol

Absolutely. Your be actually over pitching. Make sure you harvest some yeast at high krausen and save. You’ll never have to buy Hornindal again lol
is there any issue with over pitching this. Will it hide the esters?? I just read in that article about not oxygenating the wort is that also advised to push out the esters???

I would think for a NEIPA you would want the esters...kveik eaters are usually super fruity.

Back