2-month old bite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tknishi

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of homebrew 2 months ago (extract with steeping grains). I started drinking the beer about 3 weeks after bottling and the beer tasted great. I saved a bottle to see what aging a couple months would do. I opened the beer tonite and the beer has a slight acidic bite to it that it never had a month ago. What am I tasting? Oxidation?

On a positive note, the beer really cleared up in those two months!

image.jpg

Thanks for the link, I would say it has an acidic bite, and based on the fault list it had some kind of infection. I still drank it, I just hope the last couple that I gave away didn't have the same bite.

I'm leaning away from an infection since you drank it 3 weeks after bottling it and it was good. An infection would show itself after 3 weeks so you should have tasted it when you first drank it. Was this the only one you saved? It could have been just this bottle.

I bottled my first batch of homebrew 2 months ago (extract with steeping grains). I started drinking the beer about 3 weeks after bottling and the beer tasted great. I saved a bottle to see what aging a couple months would do. I opened the beer tonite and the beer has a slight acidic bite to it that it never had a month ago. What am I tasting? Oxidation?

On a positive note, the beer really cleared up in those two months!

Don't know if your "acidic bite" is this, but it is the closest description I could find @ Palmer:

Astringency... is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages.

If not, disregard.

Infections take a looooooooooooooog time to develop unless it is acetobacter, which would have been noticeable at bottling (it needs O2, so will not develop in the bottle.)

Are you just being over critical to your beer. Could it just be carbonic bite from a well carbonated beer! Does this flavor dissipate as you get closer to the end of the glass.

Back