2 lbs of 2yr old nugget? ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antony

Reaction score
hey gang...buddy of mine snagged nearly 2lbs of nugget whole leaf that is approx 2 yrs old (his words). It was warm/soft when I received it & I assume it must have been previously frozen. It's vacuum packed and currently in the refrigerator.

Thoughts? Maybe a big base grain bill (2 10g brews) and take it as far as it'll go? I'm hesitant to freeze it. Hesitant to rely on it for regular use. What would you do with it all?

I would use it in a test batch. Aim for a IIPA but only get 1/2 your bittering from the Nugget. If the nugget is a dud you will end up with a high ABV IPA and know not to rely on the Nugget for IBUs.

What does it smell like? If it smells like cheese, it'll make OK compost.

Was it dried prior to being vacuum packed?

nugget is typically used for bittering. I doubt its bittering potential has tapered off too much in the freezer. just use it for that unless it smells bad

Yeah, it was vacuum packed and dried. I haven't opened it yet, but when I do, if it stinks, I'll pass on them.

Latest posts

Back