2 kegs and co2 requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I'm going to put my 2nd keg in today. I have a new 3 outlet manifold to split the co2 with. My question is do I need to adjust pressure? I had my single keg on 10-11 psi. Do I need to do anything special with the regulator since I'm putting a second keg on? Also, how many kegs can I run off of a 5lb tank? I went to get a refill yesterday and asked them about a 10lb, but they don't sell them and have to send them off to get them refilled. The other thing that they can do is create a fitting that can couple 2 5lb tanks. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

All,

I'm going to put my 2nd keg in today. I have a new 3 outlet manifold to split the co2 with. My question is do I need to adjust pressure? I had my single keg on 10-11 psi. Do I need to do anything special with the regulator since I'm putting a second keg on? Also, how many kegs can I run off of a 5lb tank? I went to get a refill yesterday and asked them about a 10lb, but they don't sell them and have to send them off to get them refilled. The other thing that they can do is create a fitting that can couple 2 5lb tanks. Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

You can just hook up the second keg with the same pressure. You can probably go with 5-6 kegs on a single 5 pound C02 tank.

I've never coupled c02 tanks, as when it's empty I just go get it exchanged or filled. It sounds like it would be more of a pain than it'd be worth.

I would just get a spare CO2 tank so that when the other does run out, you just swap over and keep on going. That also gives you time to get the empty one filled/exchanged...

I would also look for some fire extinguisher service/recharge/repair places in your area. I use one to fill my CO2 tanks and they do it for far less than any other place in my area. Seriously, $12 for a 10 pound tank refill, while you wait... Costs $10 for a 5 pound tank. I believe they charged me $17 to fill my 20 pound tank...

Thanks guys! I had a leak of some sort and I didn't even get through 1 full keg without running out of co2. That's good to hear that I can run that many kegs on the 5lb tank. I'll use your suggestion on getting another tank for a backup too...that's a good idea.

If you're using worm clamps on the gas lines, change over to Oetiker clamps. They are a several magnitude improvement over the worm clamps. The tool to crimp them (if you don't want to rig up something on your own) is rather cheap too. I've been using them on all my gas lines/fittings as well as changing over the beer fittings as I can. Very glad I have. Especially since I had to hunt down a leak when I was first setting up my kegging system. I've had zero leaks with the Oetiker clamps, and they are much easier to get tight (IME)...

I use a 20oz paintball tank (with a $20 adapter to fit regulator threads) as a back up in case I run out of gas on the weekend and welding supply place doesn't open til monday. Paintball refills are $5 at dicks sporting goods.

Back