2 Kegs 1 Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQBrew01

Reaction score
I have two Kegs that I have started to cut and polish.

1 keg will be HLT & 1 will be BK...both direct fired propane. I have a 10gallon Igloo that I have been using for my MLT. Most of the parts for RIMS tube.

My plan is to build the RIMS tube and pump water from HLT thur RIMS and into my Igloo MLT and then boil in the other keg. Is this stupid? Should I just acquire another keg? Is there better options? All suggestions welcome.

The idea of using a cooler is that it is insulated and shouldnt need anything like a RIMS system. Using a keg for your MLT, it will need the recirculation of hot water to mantain temperature.

Your system should work but probably wont need much hot water flowing to keep the mash at temperature.

The idea of using a cooler is that it is insulated and shouldnt need anything like a RIMS system. Using a keg for your MLT, it will need the recirculation of hot water to mantain temperature.

Your system should work but probably wont need much hot water flowing to keep the mash at temperature.

That is good since I don't currently have 240v available and won't in the near future so a 120v element will do just fine.

That is good since I don't currently have 240v available and won't in the near future so a 120v element will do just fine.

Hi

A 120 circuit is likely a 15A breaker. That's 1800 watts. Put another way it's 6,145 btu's. Hopefully you can run the stove to meet part of your hot water needs.

Bob

Hi

A 120 circuit is likely a 15A breaker. That's 1800 watts. Put another way it's 6,145 btu's. Hopefully you can run the stove to meet part of your hot water needs.

Bob

Initial heating in HLT will be done by propane. RIMS is to maintain target temp during mash.

You can run a 1500w uld element and a pump on a 15A circuit without any problems.

You can run a 1500w uld element and a pump on a 15A circuit without any problems.

Hi

As long as that's just about all that's turned on at the time. In a lot of cases (apartments) the circuits go all over the place. It can take a while to figure out just what is powered off of this or that breaker. Of course once you pop the breaker it'll be pretty obvious ...

Bob

I guess, my keg fridge and chest freezer are on the same circuit as my brew rig and I know the fridge comes on while I'm brewing. The rims cycles so your not getting a constant draw the whole hour.

I guess, my keg fridge and chest freezer are on the same circuit as my brew rig and I know the fridge comes on while I'm brewing. The rims cycles so your not getting a constant draw the whole hour.

Hi

The gotcha is going to be when they all cycle at the same time. 5 amps into the fridge and 13 amps into the RIMS will likely trip a 15 amp breaker.

Bob

Back