2 gallon fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synap6

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Ive been brewing 1gallon batches and would like to jump to 2-to-3 gallon max. I'm currently shopping for a fermenter with a spigot, to make bottling/transferring easier.

The Mr Beer keg would be a perfect choice for two reasons: small with spigot, and built horizontally which means it's easier to store (and i can use two in the same space). However, it's built out of #3 plastic, which i was told is not a good thing.

The BrewDemon conical fermenter looks alright too, but it's much taller and wouldn't fit as ideally as the Mr Beer kegs (2 Mr Beer one on to of the other for 1 BrewDemon). This one is also apparently made of PVC #3 plastic.

I could build one using a food-grade bucket and insert a spigot, but would prefer having a horizontal fermenter for practicality's sake :(

What are your thoughts? Any ideas, alternatives?

Better Bottle makes a 3-gallon carboy. I have 2 of them (in addition to several other sizes) and I like that they're safe, durable, and lightweight. They sell spigots for their carboys and [I think] they work with the 3 gallon size.

I've used the Mr. Beer LBK for years and have never had a problem with it. It really only holds 2 1/8 gallons. Some people try to shove more than that into it. I did once and it almost exploded because the krausen clogged the vents.

Frankly I'd go with a bucket without a spigot and use an autosiphon. That's what I use for my bigger batches. If you're only doing 3 gallon batches you can use a 5 gallon food grade bucket (Home Depot, etc), drill the lid for an airlock, and Bob's your uncle.

Ill be doing batches closer to 2 gallons, and the spigot looks convenient for bottling, especially when doing it solo.

Will definitely look into better bottle. I would have picked up a Mr Beer LBK had it not been for the #3 plastic (im sure it s alright but dont want to risk regretting it later in life) :(

I've used both the MrBeer LBK and the BrewDemon BDC, also 12qt SS and enamel pots. The LBK is cheaper, easier to store, fits neatly in a cooler for temp control. The BDC is easier to clean, (bigger opening, smoother) and contains trub better. The pots are cheap, easy to clean, but don't allow any view of the fermenting wort. The lid makes a decent airlock, add plastic wrap if necessary. I prefer the enamel, the rivets on the SS are tough to clean. Now I mostly use a 5gal Ale Pail, except for test batches. Any fermenter with a spigot requires extra caution in cleaning the spigot. Some have success with frosting buckets from bakeries. Good luck, have fun, brew on!

Walmart sells a 3 gallon ice tea container made from acrylic, probably the most food safe plastic out there. There are two versions. One with an ice core, and one without. I use one of the "non ice core" units for a fermenter as well as a brew demon. I prefer the Walmart part, but it does take some creativity to attach a fermentation lock. The entire unit is tapered bottom to top (wider at the top), and the lid is tapered to match, which results in a great seal. It has a vent hole in the lid that must be plugged........ a soldering iron works for this.
I opened up the spigot hole and installed a brewing spigot..... a better quality spigot than original. I also did this on the Brew Demon. At about $20, it's a good value...... if you don't mind doing some creative stuff.
The Brew Demon has a crappy spigot...... Mine broke almost immediately. It also has the fermentation lock hole on the shoulder of the fermenter, not in the lid. With a 2.5 gallon brew with a lot of krausen, this can be a problem........ 2 gallons would probably not be a problem.
The Walmart unit is better built, and easier to clean, and the seal is far better.

H.W.

Hah amazing! Thanks for this precious info. I'll definitely guide my choice. Going to take a peek in Walmart to see if i can find this container you're talking about.

Thank you gents!

You can get food grade buckets in two, four, and five gallon sizes from nearly any bakery free for the asking. Drill a half inch hole in the lid and insert a grommet for an airlock. If you prefer not to siphon buy a Better Bottle Pail Adapter which can be thoroughly sanitized, has a nifty racking arm, and is easy to install.

Back