2 day countdown till BREW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
so- i've been a slacker all summer and haven't brewed a thing. a conversation led me to a watermelon wheat recipe. i get to the homebrew store, no wheat malt. so basically, i grabbed a few things, and i'm gonna brew on sunday. here's what i got...

3LBS Tradition Dark DME
1LB Munton's Crushed Chrystal Malt 60L
1oz Willamette Hops
1oz Cascade Hops

i've got some Munton's yeast laying around.

what do these ingredients turn into?

i'm doing 4 gallons split between two (2) gallon mr beer kegs. yeah, super ideal. i'm still learning. i'm working with what i've got.

i'm thinking carmel? molasses? i have no idea. just curious what style this could produce, and how much of what i've got I should use.

cheers.

scot.

Should make a halfway decent porter. Download a free trial of Beersmith2 and play with it to dial in the exact amounts. Shoot for an OG of around 1.050-1.060 a FG of around 1.016-19. IBUs 20-25. You'll probably end up using most of those ingredients...small amount of hops and a tad of the crystal left over.

i just used everything i had and am hoping for the best. i decided to make it a 2 gallon batch being that i only had 3 lbs DME and 1 lb crystal malt. here's what I did.

start 1 gallon heating and steep 1lb crystal malt 60L. held a hot temp for 20 minutes and ran hot water over the grain sack. brought it to a boil and added 1 oz willamette for my 60 minute boil. after 40 minutes, i added 3 lbs of traditional dark DME. boil for 5, then added 1/2tsp irish mosh and 1/2 oz cascade. after 10 more minutes of boiling, i added 1/2 oz cascade then boiled for my final 5 minutes. chilled it and added to primary. meanwhile, 2 grams of munton's ale yeast was rehydrated and added. original gravity was 1.070.

i figure it's gonna be black, and it's gonna be hoppy, so i'm calling my cascadian dark...

"Black Guy P A"

i'm gonna ferment for 3 weeks then bottle. luckily it'll be done carbonating on my buddy's birthday so this will be a nice treat. i hope. either way, it was a great brew day.

Back