2 Beers that I brewed taste similar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
hey guys. so i brewed a dead guy ale clone that is about 4 weeks ago that i am ready to keg but going to use the set it and forget it method to card so it will have an extra week to age. here is the recipe:

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Hops:
1 ounce Perle 60 minutes
.25 ounce perle 30 minutes
.25 ounce perle 5 minutes
.25 ounce saaz 5 minutes

i let it ferment at about 70 F. i know thats a little high, but i live in vegas lol.

then i have a saison that has been fermenting for a little over two weeks. and i took a gravity reading and looks like it is done fermenting. here is the recipe:

7.86 lb. Belgian Pale
2.10 lb. German Vienna
0.52 lb. Flaked oats
0.52 lb. Flaked wheat

1.5 tsp (6g) Irish Moss, 15 minutes
1 oz (28 g) crushed coriander, 0 minutes
1 tsp (4 g) grains of paradise, 0 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) Curacao (sweet) orange peel, 0 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) Valencia (bitter) orange peel, 0 minutes
1 lb. Honey, 0 minutes

0.95 oz. Kent Goldings (4.75% AA, 90 min.)
0.53 oz. Hallertauer (4% AA, 15 min.)
0.52 oz. Hallertauer (aroma)

i let it ferment at 80 F.

after taking the gravity reading i drank my sample and it tastes similar to my dead guy ale clone. while i know that my saison is still young and i am still going to let it age longer, should these beers taste similar. i hit hit both SG and FG pretty well, except the starting gravity with my saison was a little low. with both beers, i get very little maltiness but i hops taste great. its just that taste that i think i should be getting is very bland. once carbed, will the beers distinguish themselves better and will the malt flavor show up? thanks!

for the dead guy, i used pacman
saison, White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast

Got me, they should be distinctly different. Fermentaton temps at the fermentor or ambiant air temp.?

I would expect the Saison to be well attenuated, dry, very little hops.

The dead guy should have some malt, slight residual sugar and very noticable hops.

What ever....it's beer!!:tank:

since the dead guy is over a month old, and the saison is still in the bucket...is it the same bucket you used for the Dead Guy?

Back