2 AG batches in 1 day. Made some errors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
Batch 1 a simple blond ale 9 lb 2 row, 1 lb crystal 60, .5 lb carapils mashed at 153 for an hour, batch sparged at 170, collected 6.25 gal. I put the bittering hops (cascade 1.5 oz) but forgot the aroma hop (cascade .5 oz). I forgot the 5.2 stabilizer, yeast nutrient too. Pitched coopers, no evidence of ferm yet.

Batch 2 Amber ale. Maris otter 6.75, victory 1/2 lb, Lt munich 1 lb, 3/4 lb Crystl. 40, 1/2 lb crystl 120. 1 oz cascade at 60, .5 oz cascade 10, .5 oz centenial, .5 oz cascade at 0. Yeast s-05. This batch also not showing signs of ferm. Mash time went over an hour by about 25 min. (I was finishing up batch 1), then I let the sparge water get too hot and sparged with water at about 178 deg

I'm warming up the fermenters to high 60's and will swirl the yeast back in suspension. Hopefully this will get the fermentation going.
I guess my question is on that second batch did the long mash time and high sparge temp make the wort less fermentable and should I expect a high FG?

Why did I goof up so much? I had buddies over and we were pounding homebrews!!! :drunk: Maybe I should brew when I can concentrate better...:confused:

AND I forgot to take the OG on both....arrrrggghhhh

Batch 1 a simple blond ale 9 lb 2 row, 1 lb crystal 60, .5 lb carapils mashed at 153 for an hour, batch sparged at 170, collected 6.25 gal. I put the bittering hops (cascade 1.5 oz) but forgot the aroma hop (cascade .5 oz). I forgot the 5.2 stabilizer, yeast nutrient too. Pitched coopers, no evidence of ferm yet.

Batch 2 Amber ale. Maris otter 6.75, victory 1/2 lb, Lt munich 1 lb, 3/4 lb Crystl. 40, 1/2 lb crystl 120. 1 oz cascade at 60, .5 oz cascade 10, .5 oz centenial, .5 oz cascade at 0. Yeast s-05. This batch also not showing signs of ferm. Mash time went over an hour by about 25 min. (I was finishing up batch 1), then I let the sparge water get too hot and sparged with water at about 178 deg

I'm warming up the fermenters to high 60's and will swirl the yeast back in suspension. Hopefully this will get the fermentation going.
I guess my question is on that second batch did the long mash time and high sparge temp make the wort less fermentable and should I expect a high FG?

Why did I goof up so much? I had buddies over and we were pounding homebrews!!! :drunk: Maybe I should brew when I can concentrate better...:confused:

AND I forgot to take the OG on both....arrrrggghhhh

Batch 1 - no worries. pH5.2 isn't strictly necessary for batch sparging, just a nice insurance policy, and I never add nutrient to full batches

Batch 2 - chance of tannin extraction, but RDWHAHB

Long mash times giver MORE fermentables, so no worries about artificially high FG.

Latest posts

Back