2-Acetylpyridine - Corn Tortilla Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
I've still got a little more research and investigating to do, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a flavor that can be best described as corn tortillas. The flavor is definitely not D.M.S.

Unfortunately I can't taste the flavor, however my fiance gets it in both home brewed and commercial beers. It sometimes presents itself in light colored and/or lightly hopped clean beers, and it also presents itself in some sour beers.

I don't see 2-Acetylpyridine in any of Lallemand's sensory training kits, which I would gladly purchase to confirm that this is the culprit, even though I'm pretty sure it is.

This flavor doesn't show up in any of the home brewed IPA's or dark beers that I do, but then again I would assume it could easily be covered up by hops and roasted grains.

I'm going to have to start writing down every home brewed beer she tastes it in to see if it is a process issue (does she get it in fly sparged batches versus full volume BIAB batches), an ingredient issue (one brand of malt over another), or perhaps something else. Being that I only brew 8-12 batches a year, and some of these might sit for a year or longer, this could take a while.

I'm looking for any help or any experiences with this flavor that will help me potentially put it to an end more quickly.

I've never experienced or heard of it.

A friend of mine makes fun of me because I sometimes have (apparently) unusual perceptions of flavor - for example, I once insisted that a coffee-infused beer tasted like bell pepper. I have since googled it and it absolutely is a thing with coffee-infused beers (!!!), but the soab won't listen to me.

Anyway, if your fiance is the only one who can taste it, then... sucks for him/her, I guess. I don't imagine it's something to do with sparge technique, though.

A friend of mine makes fun of me because I sometimes have (apparently) unusual perceptions of flavor - for example, I once insisted that a coffee-infused beer tasted like bell pepper. I have since googled it and it absolutely is a thing with coffee-infused beers (!!!), but the soab won't listen to me.

Thanks for the comment. I can’t rule out a hypersensitive palate to certain flavors. My palate is horrible, but one thing I definitely get in coffee infused beers is bell pepper, so you are not alone there. At least my fiancé and I both agree on that flavor, and I surprisingly enjoy it.

Back