• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

2.5 or 3 gallon ball lock kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumbergh

Reaction score
Sacramento area. I know these are hard to find, but maybe someone has some they don't want/need.

Good luck with that, but keep an eye on More Beer, they usually have a sale around Father's day that sometimes includes their torpedo kegs. Adventures in Homebrewing has used 3 gallon kegs for $50 and they're running a 10% off promotion, but you have to add shipping, so it might be better to just go with brand new kegs. I suppose it depends how many you're buying.

Yeah... or keep an eye open for More beers 15% showroom sales... you can get scratch n dents cheap plus the extra 15% off.
I have family out that way, but even without... if you get like 2 sacks.of grain (at 15% off), some misc. tiny things you need, etc. and maybe a deal on a keg it can make the drive worth while.
(I live in Sac too).

The Torpedo kegs are worth the money. You can stack a 2.5 and 1.5 in the same space as a 5. If you've got more height, like most keezers, you may be able to stack 2, 2.5s. Get the slimline ones which are slightly smaller than a normal ball lock.

I was thinking about buying a new 2.5 from AIH as they have free shipping and I have $20 in credit. I'm putting together a keezer and don't want/need to make a collar. How are the torpedoes vs the AIH 2.5g kegs?

I have a 2.5 gallon keg from AIH
Part# 310-4300
AIH New Double Rubber Handle 2.5 Gal Keg

I have only used once but decided to stick to 5 gallon batches. Make me an offer.

Cheers!

I've looked far and wide and believe the 2.5 gallon keg on AIH for $75 with free shipping is the best deal. I bought one, it's brand new, there's no dissatisfaction.

If you want a keezer without a collar I bought a 10.2 cu ft Insignia freezer on sale at Best Buy for $249.

Fits six 5 gal ball lock kegs; one 2.5 and a 5 lb co2 tank with regulator.
Screenshot_20210428-091810_Gmail.jpg

I already have a 5cf freezer.

Now I'm on the fence between the torpedo and AIH.

@Chorgey are you in the sacramento area? If not, shipping will probably cost a ton.

I've looked far and wide and believe the 2.5 gallon keg on AIH for $75 with free shipping is the best deal. I bought one, it's brand new, there's no dissatisfaction.

I have four of these, and one thing that I do NOT like is the hang tab on the lid. It's put on with a simple spot weld making a perfect hiding place for nasties between the lid and the tab.

I have a couple of those myself , as far as lids go I usually let them soak for about 30 min. In StarSan
If really dirty I’ll scrub around the welds with an old toothbrush trying to get into all areas where something could hide then just let um soak ..

I have a couple of those myself , as far as lids go I usually let them soak for about 30 min. In StarSan
If really dirty I’ll scrub around the welds with an old toothbrush trying to get into all areas where something could hide then just let um soak ..

Slip a piece of paper under there to check how effective that is.

I have four of these, and one thing that I do NOT like is the hang tab on the lid. It's put on with a simple spot weld making a perfect hiding place for nasties between the lid and the tab.
I have 2 of these, and I don't believe mine have the hang tab; at least I haven't noticed. I'll have to look at them when I'm at home.

I have 2 of these, and I don't believe mine have the hang tab; at least I haven't noticed. I'll have to look at them when I'm at home.

My first two didn't, but the second pair did. I was able to swap for plain lids, though.

I doubt that these meet NSF standards with the tab.

I have 2 3 gallon kegs i normally put in a rolling cooler for parties and lake house vacations.
well the party thing was a bust last summer.
but, they aren't cheap and the 4 packs of used kegs some of the online places offer sell out by the time I see the email and they don't seem to happen often.
I just bit the bullet and got torpedo's off amazon.

Back