2.5 gallon batches in large primary ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skelrad

Reaction score
At my wife's request, I am going to make a couple of smaller batches (2.5 gallons each) of my next few beers instead of full batches. She wants to be able to try a wider variety of beer without being "stuck" with 2 cases of a kind she ends up not liking. I would never call having beer around the house "stuck," but I've got her brewing blessing, so who am I to argue? ;)

So my question is, can I ferment 2.5 gallon batches in my normal primary bucket or in my 5 gallon carboy? Does that leave too much headspace? Just trying to figure out if I have to buy smaller vessels to do the smaller batches or if I can just use my larger stuff.

Thanks!

While it is best practice to eliminate as much head space as possible, the fermentation should generate enough CO2 to blanket and protect the beer. A number of people here do smaller batches in 5 gallon vessels without an issue. If you find that this is going to be a regular brewing size going forward though, I probably would spend a few bucks on a smaller carboy or find a 3 gallon jug of some sort or something.

Yup, primary fermentation is active enough to put out a lot of CO2 and your headspace isn't likely going to cause you any oxidation problems. Not to mention if you're going through 2.5 gallons between the two of you in relatively short amounts of time, you aren't going to get the oxidation effects to begin with as, from my understanding, they take some time to develop.

If you are worried, go to your local grocery store/bakery. They'll give me as many 3.5 gallon food safe frosting buckets as I want for free. Perfect for 2.5 gallon batches.

At my wife's request, I am going to make a couple of smaller batches (2.5 gallons each) of my next few beers instead of full batches. She wants to be able to try a wider variety of beer without being "stuck" with 2 cases of a kind she ends up not liking. I would never call having beer around the house "stuck," but I've got her brewing blessing, so who am I to argue? ;)

So my question is, can I ferment 2.5 gallon batches in my normal primary bucket or in my 5 gallon carboy? Does that leave too much headspace? Just trying to figure out if I have to buy smaller vessels to do the smaller batches or if I can just use my larger stuff.

Thanks!

You can always do a full 5 gallon batch and send me a case! :mug:

Oh, and you should be fine with the 2.5 gallon volume

your primary will be fine. If you send it to secondary and you want to be safe, just shoot a bit of CO2 into the carboy to create a barrier to block the O2.

Agree with Theschick. I have an icing bucket primary and a 3 gallon water cooler jug secondary that I use for experimental batches.

If you are worried, go to your local grocery store/bakery. They'll give me as many 3.5 gallon food safe frosting buckets as I want for free. Perfect for 2.5 gallon batches.

I'm a facility tech for Target and in my store we have a food area and a market... Had no luck finding any, but I did see a 2+ gal oil container... would these be ok to use of cleaned properly?? They seem great for experimental batches??

Did it have motor oil in it? As a mechanic, I have had plenty in my mouth over the years, but I don't want it in my beer. I would rather use a pickle pale than taste hopped 5w30. Just go to your local grocery store and ask. They look at you funny until you tell them what you are doing, then inevitably one of them saw the "chicha" episode of brewmasters and you won't be able to shut them up. Either way, they will gladly unload the pails on you because they usually have to pay extra to dispose of them.

LOL.. no cooking oil for them to put on pizza pans..
Will call stop and shop from down the street and see??!!
As far as my oil jugs I guess its a no go.. what a shame.. the would seem practical..
anyways you all could tell I'm a NOOB.. SRY

Oh. Cooking oil? Egg on my face! Hmm. Well those may work, but you will likely need to clean them with alcohol or very hot soap and water. Hell, its worth a try.

Back