2.5 gallon batch use all of the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is what i would do:

if you're using liquid, use the whole vial

if you're using dry yeast, use half the pack.

My LHBS told me that for 5 gallons you should use two dry yeast packages, so that's what we've been doing (I think it was a Nottingham packet). For my 2.5 gallon batch I used one package. I didn't do any research or anything, just went with what they said. I wonder if it would hurt to have extra yeast?

My LHBS told me that for 5 gallons you should use two dry yeast packages, so that's what we've been doing (I think it was a Nottingham packet). For my 2.5 gallon batch I used one package. I didn't do any research or anything, just went with what they said. I wonder if it would hurt to have extra yeast?

For 5 gallons I typically use 1 packet of dry yeast. But you I always rehydrate it. Very easy to do and it saves you the $3 or so. Do a quick search on HBT to see how rehydrate.

+1 on rehydration.

www.mrmalty.com can help you calculate how much yeast you need. If you do not have a gram scale you will have to eyeball it, but probably will be safe pitching half the packet.

This all depends on the OG of the batch, the age, type, and storage condition of the yeast, the amount and type of aeration prior to pitching, and probably some stuff I am not thinking of right now. There is no single correct answer unless you account for all those factors.

Use the Mr. Malty calculator.

Dogphish said:
this is what i would do:

if you're using liquid, use the whole vial

if you're using dry yeast, use half the pack.

This is exactly what I do to. I have brewed about 20-25 2.5g batches, and I usually use 1/2 packet of US-05, and I save the other half for the next batch (According to Yooper, that could be a cause of infection or something, but I have never had a problen, so until I do...). When in doubt go with Yooper's advice.
For a Russian Imperial Stout (OG 1.102) I used the whole packet.

Well I used the whole pack of Wyeast and fermentation signs begin after an hour or two hope all turns out well im sure it be fine just curious on some effects

I was reading about overpitching yeast today -- it is tough to do and it doesn't sound like you'll have any issues. With large amounts of additional yeast you'll have autolysis and a yeasty taste to your beer but I am not sure about other effects.

Your batch may be ready to move to secondary much quicker than normal (I would think.) I would start testing gravity after about 5 days and if everything has remained stable after 3-4 days then I would rack off to secondary. No need to let your beer sit on yeast that are exhausted.

Just my thoughts based on things I have read here. I am sure there is more expert opinion that could confirm.

Yeah I was planning on testing it sooner than normal but it's still very active air lock so not worried about that yet but thanks for the tips im sure my brew will be great though

Back