2-3 gallon kegs, what are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crysond

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the left 3 are? Plannin on throwing some ball locks on them and using them.

ForumRunner_20120707_214536.jpg

Was wonderin what they looked like original, debating restoring them to their original look

kinda look like liquid gas containers, not pressurized. just really cold? like liquid nitrogen or something?

Hi

The generic name for them is "product pails". More or less, you use them to sample product (what ever that might be) and haul it back to the lab. Exactly what those were used for - no idea.

Bob

Cornie kegs are rated to 130 psi with pressure relief valves. If you are goin to use containers rated for 30 psi you need to install 30 psi pressure relief valves (the plumbing store should have them for boilers. You don't want a pn exploded keg because a drunk buddy adjusted the regulator or the regulator failed and increased pressure. 5 gallon used Cornies are probably cheaper than converting these. If you need the smaller size they a more money but i would still go that route for the added safety and convenience.

don't think I would use something that was designed to haul "some" product, unless you know what they were used for. Could be water, could be cynaide, could be raw sewage.

don't think I would use something that was designed to haul "some" product, unless you know what they were used for. Could be water, could be cynaide, could be raw sewage.

Cyanide and raw sewage would be best case scenarios. You can deal with either of those with PBW. Especially if you have a trash barrel that you can immerse the whole thing in.

Contamination with heavy metals would cause me some concern. My chemist friend recommends washing with "clear ammonia" detergent from hardware store that has been spiked with disodium EDTA to do away with mercury salts potentially left behind by industrial-grade nitric acid in used carboys. Might work for yours too.

If you discard all the rubber bits and throw all the steel in an oven at a high temperature, you are likely to destroy traces of most chemical agents.

I would feel better knowing what was in them too. One of my employer's clients used to destroy chemical weapons. They cleansed the containers with fire, quite literally. Though usually at temperatures that are likely to result in a ruined container - they didn't care about that because they intended to destroy the containers anyway.

Do you know anything about where they came from?

Yea, guy who I bought em from bought em in cripple creek CO from a drug store said they were used for soda.
He had em sitting in a barn for a few years. So I have a bit of cleaning to do.
They have faded sharpie on the side, one says strawberry. I think its safe to assume they were for soda.

Back