1st wine making experience SG .999. too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EineProsit

Reaction score
RE; Selection Pinot Grigio. Gone wrong?

My home is cooler than the kit suggested 72-75 degrees, a heat belt was added to my equipment inventory to accompany the temp requirement.

Once installed, the belt rose the temperature considerably overnight , too high in fact.
My temp strip reads only to 79 so I don't know exactly how high.

The instructions require the liquid be transferred to a secondary after 5-7 days in the primary. At this time the gravity should be 1.010 or less.
My first gravity read on day 7 revealed my gravity was already .999.
According to the instructions .999 is the gravity of the finished product.

I don't intend to discard the batch but I am hoping someone can give me a glimmer of hope that the final product will be fine.

Thanks to anyone able to help:confused:

EineProsit said:
RE; Selection Pinot Grigio. Gone wrong?

My home is cooler than the kit suggested 72-75 degrees, a heat belt was added to my equipment inventory to accompany the temp requirement.

Once installed, the belt rose the temperature considerably overnight , too high in fact.
My temp strip reads only to 79 so I don't know exactly how high.

The instructions require the liquid be transferred to a secondary after 5-7 days in the primary. At this time the gravity should be 1.010 or less.
My first gravity read on day 7 revealed my gravity was already .999.
According to the instructions .999 is the gravity of the finished product.

I don't intend to discard the batch but I am hoping someone can give me a glimmer of hope that the final product will be fine.

Thanks to anyone able to help:confused:

Don't dump the batch. Transfer it to the secondary. Rack again according to the instructions. My guess it'll be sometime in the next 2-4 weeks.

I doubt you wine was harmed much by going over temp for only one night. Keep it around 70 if you can for the secondary.

Yeast don't know how to read a calander. They do their job regardless or time. If the environment is acceptable, they eat sugar and poo alcohol.

They like the same temperatures as everything else on this planet. Somewhere around room temp, cooler slows us all down and warm makes us work faster.

DoctorCAD said:
Yeast don't know how to read a calander. They do their job regardless or time. If the environment is acceptable, they eat sugar and poo alcohol.

They like the same temperatures as everything else on this planet. Somewhere around room temp, cooler slows us all down and warm makes us work faster.

Hmm I'll remember that when I drink wine, I'm ingesting yeast poo...... Thanks DrCAD!

Back