1st try at cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunky

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to try my hand at hard cider. I bought a gallon of non pasteurized cider from our local orchard.

My queation is do I add the campden tablet while it's cold or let it get to room temperature?

And I'm planning on fermenting in a glass carboy , do I add the campden tablet to the plastic jug before adding to.carboy or add the.cider to the carboy before adding the tablet?

What kind of yeast are you using?

My advice is to add your cultured yeast asap, seal it with a fermentation trap and let it do it's magic. The campden tablet will only interfere with the natural yeasts from the orchard. I like to let the cultured yeasties fight the natural ones in a microscopic battle royal for flavor.

I've used the White labs english cider yeast and I liked the fact that it had a very neutral yeast profile and was drinkable pretty soon, like 6-8 weeks. I saved the cider yeast and am going to try to restart it this week.
The wine yeast I have used in the past took much longer to age and reduce the off flavors that were produced.
My next attempt will be dry beer yeast like nottingham or ale yeast.
Maybe split your gallon into two test batches and run the 1118 and some other yeast?
I've been told a slow ferment is best for flavor, try to keep the cider 60-65 degrees or even colder if you can.

Ok I picked up some Safale S-04. The place I purchased the yeast. Suggested the English ale yeast. Spoke of above. But then after finding out I'm only doing a gallon said it would be too much.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok I picked up some Safale S-04. The place I purchased the yeast. Suggested the English ale yeast. Spoke of above. But then after finding out I'm only doing a gallon said it would be too much.

The S-04 pack probably has more yeast than the Wyeast pack. You only need about a quarter of the sachet. You can keep an opened pack if you don't contaminate it, keep it dry (and cool), and seal it up well with tape.

The S-04 is a good choice.

If you use campden, add it to the apple juice 24 hours before the yeast. Use it at room temp.

Aerate the juice after you add the yeast (shake it). After that 02 is the enemy.

Latest posts

Back