1st Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsheets

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I am brand new to home brewing and am clueless where to start. Can anyone recommend a good beginner brewing kit and where to purchase it. I've always wanted to brew my own beer but never had time. Now I do, so any suggestions as to where, how, and good starter kits and recipes would be very very appreciative...CHEERS!!!

dsheets said:
Hey Folks,
I am brand new to home brewing and am clueless where to start. Can anyone recommend a good beginner brewing kit and where to purchase it. I've always wanted to brew my own beer but never had time. Now I do, so any suggestions as to where, how, and good starter kits and recipes would be very very appreciative...CHEERS!!!

I am getting ready for my 3rd batch soon. Here is what I would suggest you look into, and Like Tony said - it has free shipping. This kit has all you need and you only need to have water, bottles and an extract brewing kit. It comes with an OK book that gives you the basics, I also have a better one from John Palmer that goes into more detail. The extract brewing kits come with step by step instructions, hops pellets, malt, priming sugar and some include sanitizer, caps and yeast. You need all that stuff.

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15910

dsheets said:
what kit do you suggest for a starter kit?

It sort of depends on what you like to drink I guess. I prefer the dark malty brews but many like super hoppy IPA's. :eek:

i enjoy pale ales and lagers mostly, is that kit good for lighter beers?

dsheets said:
i enjoy pale ales and lagers mostly, is that kit good for lighter beers?

A true lager is not something I, as a newbie brewer, would jump into. It requires a refrigerator to keep the fermentor in the 50° range for a few weeks and then to store all the bottled beer in. The IPA's are pretty easy to home brew from what I have read here.

Check the various kits here: http://www.morebeer.com/browse.html?category_id=2317&keyword=&x=1&y=1

so IPA is the way to go for a virgin? , also where can i buy an extracting kit?

dsheets said:
so IPA is the way to go for a virgin? , also where can i buy an extracting kit?

Look at my post above for the link.

IPA is heavy on hops so pick it if you like loads of hops.
Good luck, it's fun but a lot of work. I have to assume it gets easier as you do more brews. My second went much better than #1.

You shopuld really read up on procedure. Get a book like the Papazian book or read www.howtobrew.com You'll have a lot more success than if you just buy a kit and go for it.

Any ale is a good choice...anything from pale ale, IPA, stout, porter, bitter, etc, etc, etc

Back