1st time kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymguy

Reaction score
I've just filled my first two kegs and I have them force carbing at 30psi for about 3 hours now. I was planing to drop it to 20psi tomorrow and then 10 psi the next day. I've noticed that just in the last 3 hours my CO2 tank has dropped from 800lbs to 650lbs. I've checked every connection for a leak and found nothing.

How much CO2 is usually drawn when force carbing, is this just typical?

Yeah I had the tank on my kitchen floor and then moved it into the keezer.

Check in another couple of hours. Chilling gas condenses it. I go from 800 to 600 on my gauge by chilling it. I'll bet that is what is going on. If it continues to drop then yeah, you have a leak.

I have a 5 lb. aluminum tank and at room temperature the regulator tank gauge reads almost 800 lbs. when it's full it holds 6 lbs. of liquid Co2 when full. If I put it in the fridge the tank gauge drops about a few hundred pounds.

My little 5 lb. tank can force carb and serve about 12 2.5 gallon corny kegs before it needs refilling.

Back