1st time bottling:D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybmx10

Reaction score
so tomorrow will be my 1st time bottling using a siphon and bottling wand. i have put my bottles in the oven to sanitize them and used the products to do so, any tips to make it go by a bit smother? im very nervous lol!

prend ton temps, pas trop de molson avant pis tu vas etre correct! translation( take your time, easy on the Molson before and you'll be allright!)

Depending on what bottle capper you have (or it may not matter which), but a tip I liked before I did my first batch is to fill a bottle and then put a sanitized cap on top. Continue on like this and then cap them all at the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

Oh yeah, and how will you be adding your priming agent?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Home Brew mobile app

1) You want to sanitize your bottles shortly before filling them... not the day before.

2) It's a good idea to sanitize the spigot of the bottling bucket. I.e. take it apart and dip the rubber washers in sanitizer, and then reassemble it.

3) Don't forget to sanitize the outside of the bottling wand, as it will be submerged into the bottles and the beer will come into contact with it.

4) Calculate and weigh your priming sugar carefully. It's a good idea to use a kitchen scale rather than measure by volume. There are many online calculators that will tell you how much of each different type of sugar is appropriate for your volume of beer and temperature at time of bottling.

5) Setting the bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher (if you have one) and opening the dishwasher door and using it as a drip tray is a good tip, as it cuts down on the mess.

6) It's a good idea to sanitize your caps. Some don't bother, but I do. Only sanitize as many caps as you will likely use, as I've heard of caps rusting fairly quickly. Never happened to me, but the reports seem legit.

7) Boil the priming sugar in a bit of water for 10 minutes or so to sterilize it. Then pour it into the bottling bucket BEFORE you rack the beer on top. Lay your racking hose in right and the flow of beer will create a whirlpool action that mixes the two well, rendering it unnecessary to stir.

8) The sooner you clean the fermenter/bottling bucket after bottling, the easier it is.

9) Move your fermenter to the location from which you will rack to the bottling bucket at least several hours ahead of time, if not days. This will allow any yeast/trub that gets stirred up by the transportation to settle back down.

10) Since the level of the spiggot on your bottling bucket is likely above it's floor, be sure to tip it forward when you get down to that level so as not to leave any beer behind. Some people also rig something up to help them tip the bucket.

11) Make yourself as comfortable as as possible for the bottling process... recruit stools, cushions, etc., or whatever you need. Have an eye to the future as to how you can develop a system to make bottling more comfortable and/or efficient. No point finishing up with a sore back, knees, or whatever.

12) Consider incorporating "washing yeast" into your bottling process. It's not difficult, and given the rising cost of some yeasts, helps to keep batch costs down. Washing yeast requires boiling and then cooling water, as well as a number of mason jars on hand, so be sure to plan ahead.

When adding the dextrose to be beer in the bucket I liked to give it a good gentle mixing with a sanitized spoon. I always felt like it gave me more consistent carbonation, but I'm no professional.

I like bottling on the opened door of my dish washer. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Agreed. Dishwasher trick is key.

I hate bottleing. Auto siphon goes haywire at least once, spraying sanitizer or something all over!

An extra hand helps

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I like bottling on the opened door of my dish washer. Makes cleanup a breeze.

Same here. I put the bottling bucket on the counter right above the dishwasher, with the dishwasher door open. Just pull up a chair and I start filling with the bottling wand. I have my bottles sanitized with a Vinator and set on a rotating bottling tree within reach, along with the caps in a bowl of Starsan. Fill, set a cap on top and place on the counter--all done while seated. After filling them all, I get up and crimp the caps. Done in an hour or so.

well.. i decided to bottle tonight! and it turned out really good! my girlfriend was a crazy help:D she filled the bottles when i was capping them! the siphon didnt mess up not eve once:D but i still think i will invest in a bottling bucket for the future! thanks for all the tips guys!

Same here. I put the bottling bucket on the counter right above the dishwasher, with the dishwasher door open. Just pull up a chair and I start filling with the bottling wand. I have my bottles sanitized with a Vinator and set on a rotating bottling tree within reach, along with the caps in a bowl of Starsan. Fill, set a cap on top and place on the counter--all done while seated. After filling them all, I get up and crimp the caps. Done in an hour or so.

Sounds like my operation to a T. I like to bottle in 22 ounce bottles. Its half the work.

Back