1st sour need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I've never made a sour so I could really use some help
I bought some omega labs sour liquid yeast
An have a bunch of light pilsen LME I wanna use up
So from my understanding I would bring water to a boil and boil the LME for 30 mins then cool to 95f and pitch the sour yeast let that sit for 2 days or so
Then bring that back to a boil and add some hops, I was thinking Willamette??
Then cool down to room temp and pitch my regular yeast which I have a bunch of safale us05 to use
Also i saw these 1 gallon bolthouse farm premixed fruit juices and wanted to use that to add some fruit taste
I was actually thinking of using there 100% carrot juice and adding cinnamon brown sugar and vanilla and maybe some lactose to make a carrot cake sour?
Burley oak a local brewery to me actually made one that was amazing
Any tips or help? I'm still a newish brewer so any help would be appreciated

I dont really know what "omega labs sour liquid yeast" contains but your steps seems fine.

The only thing is that there is no need to boil it for 30 min before the souring. I usually bring it to boil and then start cooling but even that is too much. Pasturize it would be enough and one could probably get away without even doing that.

Have you seen the threads of co pitching a sour ? It's an easy way to get a sour with less of a chance for bacteria or infection.

Email the brewery and see if they can give you any tips on how they made that beer. They may be willing to help with suggestions on amounts of carrot and whatever else they used.

Back