1st recipe - rye pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
how does this look

5gallon - 60min boil - rye pale ale

2lb Amber DME
5lb Pale Malt (2 row)
1.5lb Cara-Pils
2lb Flaked Rye

3oz cascade @ 60min
dry hop with cascade (tbd)

i really have not much clue at all as to what im doing but i figure keep it really simple.

anyway -any feed back at all will be appreciated greatly.

You say you have "not much clue" which makes me believe you are just starting to formulate recipes. Do yourself a favor and go get Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. It is a fantastic book that will help you as you start to formulate your own recipes.

The first thing I notice is the amber extract. Try to use the Golden or Pilsen extracts for all your beers, even the darkest stouts you brew. You can never be absolutely certain how amber or dark extract is colored. The manufacturer could use grains that put extra caramel or roast notes in your beer you are not looking for. For this beer, I would just use 2 lbs of light DME and either add 1/2 lbs crystal 40 - 60 for color/flavor or 1/2 oz. roasted barley/black patent/carafa III for color. Overall, you should aim to get the bulk of your fermentables from your extract and your color and unique flavors from your specialty/steeping grains. This will also help with the duplication of any recipes that you enjoy. The likelihood of reproducing the same beer will be greater.

Secondly, you are not going to get much flavor from the Cascade by eliminating it from boil 59 min through 0. Add or move one of the Cascade additions up to 30-20 min and you will get a flavor follow-through from the cascade instead of just bitterness and aroma.

Hope that helps! Cheers!

Nothing is wrong with the grain bill. Amber extract is a good choice. Some people have issues with the fact you don't really know what is in it. Briess is 2-row, Munich and Crystal 60L. It should work very well in your recipe.

That's a lot of carapils and with rye you won't need it for head retention.

I second moving some cascade later in the boil. 15 and five are good times for flavor and aroma.

I'm glad to see more people using rye. I love the stuff and try it in virtually every type of beer I make, and I usually like it a lot.

First, I'd ditch the amber DME and go with pale DME. I, too, like to control what goes into my beer.

Second, you're going to mash the rye, right? You'll need a mash with your pale malt in order to make it usable. I do a protein rest when I mash rye, but it isn't necessary.

Third, see the hop suggestions above.

Good luck and have fun!

I agree with dropping the amber and adding ~.5lbs of crystal. Also, why so much cara-pils? I would see no need for more than .5lbs of it.

Put some 15 and 5 min hop flavor adds in there. I think it will be pretty boring with a bittering addition and dry hop only.

thank you for the suggestions

i fiddled with it a little

2lb Light Dry Extract
5lb Pale Malt 2 row
2lb Flaked Rye
.50 Carapils
.50 Crystal Malt 60L

2oz Cascade 60
.5 Cascade 30
.5 Cascade 15
.5 Cascade 5

Dry hop Cascade (tbd)

Looking good now. You won't get much flavor from the 30 min hop addition so you may consider moving it to 20.

I made a rye IPA with a similiar malt and hop bill that turned out fantastic. Good luck and happy brewing :mug:

I'll admit that I'm a noob, but if you're going to mash, why not go ahead and make it all grain and drop the extract entirely? I now only use extract for starters and the occasional quick brew. BTW Rye beer is awesome. Wish it was more readily available.

im not doing all grain because im brewing inside on a gas stove that doesnt have much btus and my biggest pots are 5gallons.

plus i have only done 1partial and need to get my method down pat before i move to AG. Also this is my first recipe so im trying to keep it simple.

If you use the Brew-In-A-Bag method, you have, everything you need minus a bag. I have a 5-gal pot and a grain bag (nylon paint strainer) and a bucket for sparging the grain bag. That is my setup.

Just offering a word of encouragement. Partial mash is basically a full mash. If you use the australian method you don't even need the bucket.

Back