1st Pumpkin ale help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
Here's what's going down.

5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Amber Dry Extract
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min)
0.15 tsp Mace (Boil 5.0 min)
0.40 tsp Nutmeg (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 tsp Cinnimon (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
7.00 gm Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Also adding 2 cans of pumpkin cooked for one hour. I plan on steeping 1 1/2 can and adding the other 1/2 can in the boil. Has anyone had any good results doing this? Or should I steep both cans and add none to the boil.

Second thing, I've seen some people add brown sugar to their pumpkin ales in the boil. Is there anything negative to that? If not, what's a good amount to add, and what are the benefits?

i used a cup of brown sugar in mine :) i don't see any downsides, and a taste when it was going into the secondary seemed wonderful to me.

i only used 1 can of canned pumpkin (libby's) and added extra nutmeg (fresh grated), clove, cinnamon, and ginger. kinda wishing i added more, but jesus the trub was (and still is after being racked over) huge.

good luck :)

i used a cup of brown sugar in mine :) i don't see any downsides, and a taste when it was going into the secondary seemed wonderful to me.

i only used 1 can of canned pumpkin (libby's) and added extra nutmeg (fresh grated), clove, cinnamon, and ginger. kinda wishing i added more, but jesus the trub was (and still is after being racked over) huge.

good luck :)

+1 to the trub, I used 60oz (4 cans) I cooked them for about an hour before adding to the full 60 minute boil, I only got about 4.5 gallons out of what went in as 6+.

I screwed up on my spices adding more cinnamon than necessary, I tried to remedy it by making up for the other spices in the secondary, but it is still in the secondary, I plan on bottling this coming week, we'll seehow it tastes then.

I'm bottling my pumpkin ale today. I added 60oz of canned pumpkin to the boil (after baking for 45 mins) and ended up with 4-5" of trub in the primary. I don't always secondary my brews but this one I did and still had 1-2 inches of trub in the secondary.

I lost about a half gallon to the trub, but the brew tastes great! I think letting it sit on the pumpkin in the primary gives it more pumpkin flavor.

I Used 1 Can of Libbys Pumpkin.

I Added 1 can of Pumpkin with 30 minutes left in the boil.Added Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Ground Ginger, Ground Nutmeg, Pumpkin Pie Spice, & Vanilla Extract with 15 minutes left in the boil.Add 1 teaspoon of flaked Irish Moss the last 15 minutes of the boil

So I steeped both cans of pumpkin, and also steeped 1 cup of brown sugar. Had outstanding orange color in the boil. Smells like thanksgiving in a bottle. I'll let you know how it turns out......in a few more months.

I added pumpkin to the boil of mine. Also my first pumpkin ale and I'm seeing the mountain of trub, too. Is all this trub, along wi hte the spices, going to make it hard for me to harvest my yeast? If the yeast will be full of pumpkin gpie spice, I'd rather not bother.

Back