1st partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
Well...here goes! My first partial mash.
I'm going to order this:

AHS Scottish Export/80 Shilling Ale
- Kit Option Mini-Mash
- Yeast Option White Labs Edinburgh Scottish Ale WLP028
- BrewVint Yeast Fuel No Thanks
- Ice Pack Yes
- Priming Sugar Include Priming Sugar
- 1% Alcohol Boost No Thanks
- Gold Beer Bottle Caps No Thanks

I dont see any hops description? I'm assuming they'll come with this kit? This is the only description:

This is a malty, deep amber ale, moderately hopped, with a light roast malt flavor. Similar in style to McEwan's Export, it features Crystal 60L, Carapils, black roasted barley, peated, and chocolate grains. O.G. = 1.050 Approximately 5% ABV.

Mini Mash: 5 lbs. Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lbs. Base Grains, 1.63 lbs. Specialty Grains.

Maybe the exctract is hopped? Thats no fun. Anyone order PM kits from AHS?

Oh, one qustion on the yeast though. I've only ever used dry packet yeast. Is While Labs a liquid? Do I have to prepare it, or just take it out of the frige an pitch? Do any of you use the yeast nutrient option? I didnt get it.

Thanks for advice!

White labs will be liquid yeast. While it is preferable to make a starter (you'd need some extra extract to do this), you can just pitch the vial. Warm it up to room temperature for a couple of hours before pitching, and be aware that it might take a couple of days before any fermentation starts.

AHS sells complete kits, so the hops will come in vacuum packed packages in one ounce packets. Use as much as the recipe calls for, and then simply reseal the remainder and stick them in a ziploc in your freezer. (Some recipes might use 1.75 ounces, for example.)

For an 80+/-, you'll want to make a starter with that yeast. Order an extra pound of DME (or like me, a three pound bag!) and then when it comes, boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 cup DME. Cool, and then put in a sanitized growler and add the yeast. A day or two later, brew up your batch and pour your starter into the batch. Easy, and it will ensure the best viable yeast for your batch. This time of year is hard for me- too cold to get liquid yeast shipped here. My packages would sit outside in sub-0 weather, so I don't order yeast in the winter. :(

Latest posts

Back