1st non kit brew/Slow Ferm Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevenal

Reaction score
Hello All
I have made a noob error.
First of all I have made only one kit prior which was an awesome Irish Stout.
My second attempt was a partial grain / extract
1lb each of Honey, Cara Red, Rye Malted Grain from mash tun 160 degrees water in 2 gal cooler for 1 hour
This made my Wort Base and contributed some complexity and color.
Added 1 gallon of hot water after sparging the spent grains ( water was hard well water )
Added 6lbs of PILS LME, 1 lb Amber DME, 1/2 lb Light DME
Hopped during boil 60 min - 2 oz whole cascade 40 min - 1/2 oz cascade pellets 30 min - 1/2 oz cascade pellets 7 min 1 oz amarillo pellets
I also added a few teaspoons of Irish Moss in with the two 1/2 oz pellet packets I made up.
After 60 min boil I sparged all the hops with cool water then put all in an ice bath untill it got to 70 degrees topped to 5 1/2 gal total wort.
Now starting with 1.06 S.G.
HERE IT COMES!
I pitched
Yeast (Liquid) - Wyeast (Pilsen) - 2007
WY2007
Flocculation: Medium
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 48-56F, 9-13C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV
A LAGER STRAIN !!!This was late afternoon, say 6:30 pm 4/22/12
Today at 7 am 4/24/12 - NO AIRLOCK ACTIVITY after 37 hours _ SO I know to probably do nothing untill 72 hours and Lager works at the bottom.
I have no fridge to put the primary in and even if I put it under my house in the crawl space it may be 60 - 65 degrees during the day.
cooler at night. Should I think about repitch of another yeast strain? I do not know if I can find the same yeast local. I do have a dry yeast I thought I was going to use in the biginning but decided to use the Liquid. The dry yeast I have is Yeast (Dry) - Safale S-33 (10g) DY27
Any thoughts to shooth an impatient mind?
Thanks in advance for any advice or critisiums that may help
Oh making bread today from the a couple cups of the spent grain. yum
sevenal (the noob)

Lagers just take longer and you did not mention a starter so you under pitched a bigger beer at 1.060.

Just be patient. As for temps you are going to be high in the 60's. Lagers like to be below that,52-55 I believe. Might want to consider using a swamp cooler or bucket full of ice water to cool things down or you risk throwing off flavors.

duboman said:
Lagers just take longer and you did not mention a starter so you under pitched a bigger beer at 1.060.

Just be patient. As for temps you are going to be high in the 60's. Lagers like to be below that,52-55 I believe. Might want to consider using a swamp cooler or bucket full of ice water to cool things down or you risk throwing off flavors.

Well when I got home the temp was around 73 so I took it and put it in the tool shed. When I moved it All of a sudden it took off. It is chugging along pretty good now.
Wish I had a duplicate of the Yeast . I would pitch another SmackPac.
With a start of 1.06 I wonder if this one PAC has enough juice to finish to somewhat dry. Shooting for around 8% when finished.
Have a follow up question. What about tossing in some K-Ferm in a couple days? I bought some a while back thinking they my come in handy with this Bigger Beer.
What I understand it will help feed and stretch the life of the fermentation process, ending with a lower finish gravity. Sooo much big beer malt to convert. I have long been a reader of the forum but Alas I am now a brewing hobbyist and forum member. Thanks for reading !

Put in swamp bucket and a couple frozen half gal bottles then covered.
Maintaining 66 to 68 degrees?
Still chugging away in the airlock 9 to 10 big blurps each minute. 4 days in
Anyone ever use Fermaid K in the primary to help dry the bigger beers?

Just an update.
The beer has slowed, expectedly as of day day 10
I have taken the advice of fellow members and some local buddies.
I placed the Ale Pail in a swamp bath, replacing the frozen bottles every 12 hours.
The lager yeast is chugging along at 63 - 64 degrees and may have to stay ther for more than two weeks. To be determined. Thanks again for the patient guidance and advice.
I do jostle it slightly when changing the ice and I then hear it "for lack of a better term " farting in the bucket. The ingredients are premium and the yeast has been a little bit of a wild card but so far so good. I am anxious to see the color and determine weather I'll hop it further with a dry hop of 1 oz Citra Hop Pellets.

Ok took gravity and it's 1.08 and I started at 1.6
So it's chugging along Still, but I like the taste and have added 2 ounces of Citra Hops for the dry hop. It was still making bubbles and I put it back in the swamp bath. So next Sunday I'll bottle. Did I say. It tasted good? Really excited about how my first partial brew and only the second batch of any kind attempted is turning out. I remember reading from one of the members here " Retail is for SUCKERS" I would pay $2 a bottle for the flat ale I tasted tonight. Gotta love it!

RESULTS
Finished clean, red/brown, nice carb, lace that clings, bubbles to the last gulp.
Taste is like a Pale Lager. Dry hopping with Citra hops was a nice note to an already good beer. Thanks for the input it kept me on track.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back