1st Brew!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmoothSmoke

Reaction score
I just put my first batch into the fermenter tonight!!! So pumped! It is a Sierra Nevada clone from Northern Brewer. The OG was suppose to be 1.052, however mine read 1.048. Does this mean I messed up somehow? Also, I pitched the yeast at 66F. Any problems there? What temperature room do I need to store the fermenter bucket at? Thanks in advance. :mug:

I just put my first batch into the fermenter tonight!!! So pumped! It is a Sierra Nevada clone from Northern Brewer. The OG was suppose to be 1.052, however mine read 1.048. Does this mean I messed up somehow? Also, I pitched the yeast at 66F. Any problems there? What temperature room do I need to store the fermenter bucket at? Thanks in advance. :mug:

Congrats! And no, missing your OG by 4 points isn't $h!t. No worries. If it was an extract batch with a partial boil, it probably means that the top off water wasn't mixed well, the yeast'll do that for ya during fermentation. :mug:

Congrats! I'm new too (only 2 kits so far), so take what I say with a grain of salt, but from what I have read and heard being that close to your OG is pretty good. I actually have a hard time reading my OG bc all of the film from my wort clings around my hygrometer and I can't see exactly where the wort comes up, so if you have that issue too then you may be closer than you think.

Thats pretty close to the recommended OG so you should be good. I'd prob. store at mid to low 60's room temp. Also, the sierra nevada pale ale is one of my favs.

Kevin

Congrats! And no, missing your OG by 4 points isn't $h!t. No worries. If it was an extract batch with a partial boil, it probably means that the top off water wasn't mixed well, the yeast'll do that for ya during fermentation. :mug:

Thanks!! And yeah it was an extract batch. I did leave a few ounces behind, because I didn't want that sludge in the bucket.

Thats pretty close to the recommended OG so you should be good. I'd prob. store at mid to low 60's room temp. Also, the sierra nevada pale ale is one of my favs.

Kevin

The closet where I am storing it is 73-75F the hottest throughout the afternoon to evening. Late night to early morning should be considerably less. Will this have a negative effect?

Thanks!! And yeah it was an extract batch. I did leave a few ounces behind, because I didn't want that sludge in the bucket.

Cool. I always try to leave most of the break in the kettle too, you're gonna lose that little bit of beer anyway (trub loss in the fermenter), so might as well just leave it in the kettle. And yeah, it's near impossible to miss OG with extract if you use the right amount of water. You're all good. Now go get another bucket and get #2 going, it's inevitable, so just get it out of the way now. :D :mug:

I just left the window partially open and that seemed to do the trick. Ambient temp in the closet is now 69F, should drop to low 60's for sure in a few hours. Luckily the weather here is very cool.

Bubbling in the airlock just started. That's roughly 15 hours after pitching. Is the fermentation on the right track?

Also, I used Fermcap during the boil. Will the fermcap help prevent a volcanic blow off in the bucket even though I added the drops during the boil?

Back