1st brew, low gravity reading??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhutch9908

Reaction score
Hi, brewing my first brew, mangrove jack's pink grapefruit IPA. This is day 7 and have just taken hydro reading. It is already as low as 1010 before adding my hops, instructions state looking for 1020 at this test and again in 48 hours.
Expect 1012 3 days after adding hops at point of bottling. Is this still ok? Should I go ahead and add hops or wait until 2nd reading in 48?

No recipe should specify gravities after "X" days. That's nutz. Your beer is most likely fine.

I'm not too clear on the instructions, but when you dry hop is up to you. But it sounds like this would be a good time to go ahead and dry hop.

Thanks for your help earlier in the week. I'm just about to bottle my brew but there seems to be a lot of stuff floating throughout the beer. Any tips for reducing this trading to the bottles?? Using easy flow siphon, haven't got another vessel to transfer too first. Any help would be great, Jamie

Thanks for your help earlier in the week. I'm just about to bottle my brew but there seems to be a lot of stuff floating throughout the beer. Any tips for reducing this trading to the bottles??

Here are some options:

- Give it more time to settle before bottling
- Cold Crash (but only if you can prevent sucking air into the beer)
- Use a (sanitized) racking screen over your siphon, like this one...
9501.jpg

- Use a nylon stocking or hop bag over the racking cane, with the bag's opening closed tightly against the cane with a rubber band. (Make sure to sanitize thoroughly first.)

Back