1st brew in a long time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yezzo

Reaction score
Today I brewed my 1st 5 gallon batch in about 10 years. I used the Belgian Triple kit from williams brewing. I think everything went rather smooth, All my timings for the hops was right on and the wort chiller I made kicked ass, it cooled down in 7 minutes. It all came back to me when I was controlling the boil in the beginning, it's quite a task with an electric stove.

I planned on brewing sunday but the smack pack wasn't ready until today, I was a little worried about that because it took 2 days to even start puffing up. I never used liquid yeast before.

One thing I wanted to ask you guy's though, when I poured the wort into the fermentor I wanted to keep out as much trub as I could and It seemed like I left a little extra wort behind (I think it was between 1/4 to 1/2 gallon), will that effect anything?

Yes! You will have less beer. I always pour my whole brew pot in, hops and all. Others don't, but that is how I was taught. It all settles out after a week and I secondary.

yezzo said:
It all came back to me when I was controlling the boil in the beginning, it's quite a task with an electric stove.

I have an electric stove here at school and I COMPLETELY agree with you. Whats worse is that my stove is one of those old school spiral burners that once they start to go they start to tilt up a bit so that if you're pan frying or something the butter/oil pools to one side:mad:

Grats on doin the brew, let us know how it is when you get to finally taste it! I agree with yezzo, I poured 99% of it in. I maybe left a cup or so of the heavier trub but I let most of it in since I am racking to secondary so I can start my stout next week:ban:

It won't affect anything. I use a keggle, so there's always a little deadspace left at the bottom of the keggle when I transfer. Everyone's system is a little different.

As far as the yeast goes, if you just pitched the yeast straight, 2 days is not out of the ordinary. In the future, you might want to think about doing a starter.

Back